This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1526 / 51°9'9"N
Longitude: 0.3711 / 0°22'16"E
OS Eastings: 565925
OS Northings: 141936
OS Grid: TQ659419
Mapcode National: GBR NR1.QN7
Mapcode Global: VHJMX.D927
Plus Code: 9F32593C+3F
Entry Name: The Star Public House
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432453
Location: Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Brenchley
Built-Up Area: Brenchley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Matfield St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 65 41 BRENCHLEY MAIDSTONE ROAD, MATFIELD
14/142 The Star Public House
Public house. Probably early C17 origins; late C18/early C19 addition. The
early block is framed construction,'the ground floor underbuilt in brick, the
first floor tile-hung, the rest brick; peg-tile roofs; brick stacks.
Plan: The late C18/early C19 front block faces east on to the road, 2 rooms
wide, the principal rooms heated from end stacks, with a rear right outshut.
The rear left (south west) wing at right angles is 2 rooms on plan with back-
to-back fireplaces in an axial stack and a lean-to at the west end. It may
originally have been a 3-cell lobby entrance building, one cell removed when
the front block was added. The angle between the 2 blocks has been largely
filled by a probably early C20 service block at an oblique angle.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 3-bay east front with deep eaves, a
hipped roof and end stacks. The centre bay is broken forward with a late
C18/early C19 doorcase with pilasters and a flat porch hood with a moulded
cornice, supported on brackets. C19 panelled door, the upper panels glazed,
with an overlight with diamond glazing bars and, above it, a moulded panel.
At the far right another similar door and doorcase with the same detail gives
access to the right hand room. Circa early C19 sash windows throughout with
rubbed brick flat arches: 3 12-pane sashes to the first floor, 2 tripartite
ground floor sashes, 12-pane in the centre with 4-pane outer lights. The left
return (the C17 wing) is 2 windows plus one to the outshut at the left end.
Roof half-hipped at the left (west) end. 2 C19 doors, a panelled door to the
left and plank door to the right. 2 first floor 3-light casements with
diamond leaded panes, one preserves late C17 or early C18 window furniture.
One ground floor C20 5-light casement with diamond leaded panes; 3-light C20
timber casement alongside the left hand door. One gabled attic dormer. There
is no sign of an original doorway to the lobby entrance on the exterior but
there is a blocked door internally (information from the owner).
Interior: The eastern room of the wing (used as a restaurant) preserves a
chamfered stopped axial beam, exposed joists and an open fireplace with
sandstone jambs and a chamfered lintel. The wall framing is visible on the
first floor with wall posts with formed jowls and tension braces. A number of
early C18 2-panel doors also survive on the first floor.
Roof: Clasped purlin roof to the wing the rafters turned and re-set.
An historical guide in the pub states that it was bought by Robert Arnolde,
brewer and ale seller of Brenchley, in 1637 and was registered as an inn in
1705. The guide also states that the thatch was replaced with tile in 1790.
Listing NGR: TQ6592541934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings