This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1506 / 51°9'1"N
Longitude: 0.369 / 0°22'8"E
OS Eastings: 565783
OS Northings: 141700
OS Grid: TQ657417
Mapcode National: GBR NR1.XSN
Mapcode Global: VHJMX.BBXV
Plus Code: 9F325929+6H
Entry Name: The Wheelwright's Arms
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Last Amended: 7 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250624
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432467
Location: Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Brenchley
Built-Up Area: Brenchley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Matfield St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
In the entries for the following serial numbers --
14/156, 14/157, 14/158, 14/159, 14/160, 14/161, 14/162, 14/163, 14/164, 14/165
14/166, 14/167, 14/168, 14/169, 14/170, 14/171, 14/172, 14/173, 14/174, 14/175
14/176, 14/177, 14/178, 14/179, in the parish of Brenchley.
The address shall be amended to read---
"THE GREEN, Matfield" in place of "MATFIELD GREEN"
TQ 65 41 BRENCHLEY MATFIELD GREEN
14/156 The Wheelwright's Arms
Public House. Documented in a will of 1729, when it included a bakery (pub
guide), the core of the building may be earlier. Ground floor brick, painted
white on the front elevation; first floor weatherboarded on the front
elevation, tile-hung on the right return; peg-tile roofs; brick stacks.
Plan: East facing, slightly set back from the road. At least 2 phases. The
main block is L-plan with a central front door and a rear right (north west)
wing. A lower roofed block with a 2 span roof adjoins at the right (north)
end; this is probably secondary and has 2 front doors on the east elevation.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2:2 window front, the lower-roofed block
to the right with a hipped roof, the taller block with a half-hipped roof, a
central entrance with a C20 porch with a hipped roof on posts and an C18 plank
door. Circa early C19 16-pane sashes except for ground floor window left
which is a late C19 canted baywith small panes. The right hand block has a
similar porch and C18 plank door to the left and one first floor and one
ground floor 16-pane sash. The extreme right end bay has a C20 plank door and
one ground and one first floor 3-light C20 casement. This part of the
building is private accommodation.
Interior: No original carpentry exposed in the bar. The C19 pub sign hangs
on the wall in the bar advertising changes of horses for the Royal Mail with
painted lettering and a mail coach carved in relief.
Roof: Not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ6575841704
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings