This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1527 / 51°9'9"N
Longitude: 0.3698 / 0°22'11"E
OS Eastings: 565835
OS Northings: 141943
OS Grid: TQ658419
Mapcode National: GBR NR1.QBB
Mapcode Global: VHJMX.C9C5
Plus Code: 9F325939+3W
Entry Name: Stable Block Immediately North East of Matfield House
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Last Amended: 7 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1250646
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433093
Location: Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Brenchley
Built-Up Area: Brenchley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Matfield St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
In the entries for the following serial numbers ---
14/156, 14/157, 14/158, 14/159, 14/160, 14/161, 14/162, 14/163, 14/164, 14/165
14/166, 14/167, 14/168, 14/169, 14/170, 14/171, 14/172, 14/173, 14/174, 14/175
14/176, 14/177, 14/178, 14/179, in the parish of Brenchley.
The address shall be amended to read---
"THE GREEN, Matfield" in place of "MATFIELD GREEN"
TQ 65 41 BRENCHLEY MATFIELD GREEN
14/171 Stable block immediately north
20.10.54 east of Matfield House
Stable block. 1736 (date on clock). Brick on sandstone footings. The Front
elevation Flemish bond, the rear elevation English bond with blue headers;
peg-tile roof with lead rolls. Clearly designed to match the contemporay
Plan: South facing, rectangular on plan. Part of a group of buildings
forming the stable courtyard north east of Matfield House. 3 entrances on the
front (south) elevation.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front (south) elevation with a
striking clock turret and cupola; hipped roof. Left and right pilasters;
broken platband at first floor level; hipped roof with a delicate dentil
cornice below the eaves. The 3 ground floor doorways and centre first floor
window have plain imposts and keyblocks. The centre bay is broken forward
with a large segmental-headed doorway with an C18 2-leaf flush-panel door with
original HL hinges. Round-headed first floor window above with a transom and
square leaded panes. The centre doorway is flanked by smaller ones with 3-
centred arches and similar original doors; 12-pane C18 boxed sashes to the
outer ground floor bays. First floor left and right windows with segmental
arched heads and square leaded panes. The clock turret has a square tile-hung
base below the clock face, which is framed by reeded pilasters with a ramped
cornice. Below the clock face the inscription "Mind the time". Timber cupola
with segmental arches and a bell-shaped lead roof crowned by a weathervane
with a 1770s date. A bell hangs in the cupola. The rear elevation has 3
first floor segmental arched windows and a central attic dormer with a hipped
roof. To the left (east) sliding doors, to the right a door with small panes
in the head under a segmental arch; 12-pane boxed sash with a segmental arch
to the right. Clock face on the rear elevation dated 1736.
Interior: Not inspected but likely to be of interest.
Listing NGR: TQ6583541943
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings