History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lowcross Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in No Man's Heath and District, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0479 / 53°2'52"N

Longitude: -2.7918 / 2°47'30"W

OS Eastings: 347019

OS Northings: 350368

OS Grid: SJ470503

Mapcode National: GBR 7G.D0BZ

Mapcode Global: WH892.2NV7

Plus Code: 9C5V26X5+57

Entry Name: Lowcross Mill

Listing Date: 28 June 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1250992

English Heritage Legacy ID: 55195

Location: No Man's Heath and District, Cheshire West and Chester, SY14

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: No Man's Heath and District

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Malpas St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Tilston

Description

SJ 45 SE
1/54
EDGE
TILSTON ROAD

Lowcross Mill

II


Water-powered cornmill, 1769 or earlier, heightened and extended
later C18 and C19, on an ancient mill site. The machinery of
timer is probably late C18, partly renewed in cast iron late C19.
Ashlar sandstone and brown brick; roof partly collapsed, partly
cast iron. Two storeys and attic, the upper floors partly
collapsed; three bays.

The wheel-bay, north, is of sandstone and brick with segmental-
arched opening for the tail-race; the brick-fronted mill-bay,
centre, has a timber-lintelled cart-opening with doors removed;
the later storage-bay of brick, south, has a doorway blocked in
brick and a 2-pane casement with glass removed; the second
storey has a three-light oak-mullioned window with glass removed
and a damaged opening to the wheel and mill bays and an opening
to the store-bay. The collapsed roof to the wheel and mill bays
has gables of nearly 45° pitch and a damaged intermediate truss
of oak; the upper floors and lower-pitched roof structure of the
storage bay are intact. The north gable end has a 3-light window
with glass removed to the storey above the wheel-chamber and a
window opening to the attic; the south gable-end has a central
loading-door to each storey and a blocked doorway flanked by
blocked window-openings. The ground level is almost one storey
higher at the rear, east, with a penstock opening, a damaged
doorway to the second storey of the mill-bay and a window-opening
to the storage-bay; there is stonework between the penstock and
the doorway and flush quoins at the south-east corner of the
lower part of the mill-bay, against which the added storage-bay
projects slightly; a short chimney above the kiln-hearth.

Interior: Kiln-hearth and chimney at the south-east corner of
the mill-bay; inscribed stones in the rear wall read R
Fell/Miller 1769, G.B. and, roughly carved, J.B. The machinery,
the feature of greatest interest, stands in a damaged frame of
oak; the high-breast waterwheel circa 15 feet in diameter by 5
feet wide has cast iron shaft and rim and eight pairs of timber
spokes; the buckets are missing; the cast-iron bevelled
pitwheel is circa 8 feet in diameter, driving a cast-iron
wallower circa 3 feet diameter on a timber vertical shaft; the
spur wheel of timber circa 1O feet in diameter, with cogs now
missing, drove two pairs of underdrift timber stone-nuts, one of
which, with stones, remains.
The mill-pool is drained and the leat silted.


Listing NGR: SJ 47019 50368

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.