History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former West Hill Police Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Dartford, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4457 / 51°26'44"N

Longitude: 0.2097 / 0°12'35"E

OS Eastings: 553657

OS Northings: 174176

OS Grid: TQ536741

Mapcode National: GBR TN.PJW

Mapcode Global: VHHNT.LX7L

Entry Name: Former West Hill Police Station

Listing Date: 25 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434014

Location: Dartford, Kent, DA1

County: Kent

District: Dartford

Town: Dartford

Electoral Ward/Division: West Hill

Built-Up Area: Bexley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Dartford Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Dartford

Listing Text

1.
5274 WEST HILL
(North Side)
Former West Hill
Police Station
TQ 57 SW
SP/565

II G.V

2.
Former Police Station, 1843. Stock brick walls. One storey. Cornice and blocking
course continuing round central projecting bay with pediment over, the central
projection with four-panel door above two steps, and a blocked flanking window opening
with rubbed brick arches to each side. Set back blank walling to each side again.
Early plan shown on O.S 1868 map and comprised central reception area with two cells
to each side, the east cells later altered by the insertion of a large drying closet
for the workhouse and the west cells since converted into one room, but retaining a
door. The building ceased to function as a Police Station after 1872 and was then
used as a workhouse ward for tramps. See Dartford Historical and Antiquarian Society
Newsletter, no 22, 1985.


Listing NGR: TQ5381074129

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1.
5274 WEST HILL
(North Side)
Former West Hill
Police Station
TQ 57 SW
SP/565

II G.V

2.
Former Police Station, 1843. Stock brick walls. One storey. Cornice and blocking
course continuing round central projecting bay with pediment over, the central
projection with four-panel door above two steps, and a blocked flanking window opening
with rubbed brick arches to each side. Set back blank walling to each side again.
Early plan shown on O.S 1868 map and comprised central reception area with two cells
to each side, the east cells later altered by the insertion of a large drying closet
for the workhouse and the west cells since converted into one room, but retaining a
door. The building ceased to function as a Police Station after 1872 and was then
used as a workhouse ward for tramps. See Dartford Historical and Antiquarian Society
Newsletter, no 22, 1985.


Listing NGR: TQ5381074129

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.