History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Dartford Union Workhouse Buildings to Rear and North East of Range Fronting West Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Dartford, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4458 / 51°26'45"N

Longitude: 0.2108 / 0°12'38"E

OS Eastings: 553732

OS Northings: 174190

OS Grid: TQ537741

Mapcode National: GBR TN.PTL

Mapcode Global: VHHNT.LXTH

Entry Name: Former Dartford Union Workhouse Buildings to Rear and North East of Range Fronting West Hill

Listing Date: 25 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251334

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434015

Location: Dartford, Kent, DA1

County: Kent

District: Dartford

Town: Dartford

Electoral Ward/Division: West Hill

Built-Up Area: Bexley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Dartford Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Dartford

Listing Text

1.
5274 WEST HILL
(North Side)
Former Dartford
Union Workhouse
Buildings to rear
and N.E of range
fronting West
Hill
TQ 57 SW
SP/564

II G.V

2.
Workhouse buildings. Circa 1838; their mid C19 function shown clearly on O.S map of
1868; some later C19 and C20 alterations. Yellow stock brick walls. Slate hipped
roofs; brick stacks. Sash windows and pivot windows. Attached to each other by C19
brick walls. Range comprising former Able Womens' Hall and Lying-in ward on NE: two
storeys. Overhanging eaves. 8 ground floor sash windows with vertical glazing bars
and two doorways. Ten iron pivot windows to first floor. Flights of stone steps in
centre and at SE end.
Centre spine range comprising former cook house and master's buildings: two storeys.
East elevation: from N. end: 3 sash windows above 3 ground floor iron pivot windows;
three sash windows above and below. Former master's kitchen and pantry with two first
floor sashes, and C19 slate-roofed lean-to verandah on iron columns against ground floor,
the last with French casement, sash window and 6 panel door. West elevation:
similar verandah and fenestration. Rounded south end comprising former master's
residence with sash window with glazing bars above and below in front and to each side;
stone flags on ground in front of rounded end.
North range comprising former chapel: to rear of and flanking the centre spine wing.
Workhouse chapel housed in 3 storey range until new detached chapel opened 1878. Five
ground and first floor windows to each side of spine wing; 6 second floor window
openings. Overhanging eaves. End doorways in front of internal stone staircases.
N.W range comprising former Able Men's Hall and Accident ward: 3 storeys. Mostly
pivot windows in slightly cambered heads, seven on ground floor, 5 on both 1st and
second floors, and one modern first floor window.


Listing NGR: TQ5371874147

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1.
5274 WEST HILL
(North Side)
Former Dartford
Union Workhouse
Buildings to rear
and N.E of range
fronting West
Hill
TQ 57 SW
SP/564

II G.V

2.
Workhouse buildings. Circa 1838; their mid C19 function shown clearly on O.S map of
1868; some later C19 and C20 alterations. Yellow stock brick walls. Slate hipped
roofs; brick stacks. Sash windows and pivot windows. Attached to each other by C19
brick walls. Range comprising former Able Womens' Hall and Lying-in ward on NE: two
storeys. Overhanging eaves. 8 ground floor sash windows with vertical glazing bars
and two doorways. Ten iron pivot windows to first floor. Flights of stone steps in
centre and at SE end.
Centre spine range comprising former cook house and master's buildings: two storeys.
East elevation: from N. end: 3 sash windows above 3 ground floor iron pivot windows;
three sash windows above and below. Former master's kitchen and pantry with two first
floor sashes, and C19 slate-roofed lean-to verandah on iron columns against ground floor,
the last with French casement, sash window and 6 panel door. West elevation:
similar verandah and fenestration. Rounded south end comprising former master's
residence with sash window with glazing bars above and below in front and to each side;
stone flags on ground in front of rounded end.
North range comprising former chapel: to rear of and flanking the centre spine wing.
Workhouse chapel housed in 3 storey range until new detached chapel opened 1878. Five
ground and first floor windows to each side of spine wing; 6 second floor window
openings. Overhanging eaves. End doorways in front of internal stone staircases.
N.W range comprising former Able Men's Hall and Accident ward: 3 storeys. Mostly
pivot windows in slightly cambered heads, seven on ground floor, 5 on both 1st and
second floors, and one modern first floor window.


Listing NGR: TQ5371874147

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.