History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Range of Former Dartford Union Workhouse Facing on to West Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Dartford, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4455 / 51°26'43"N

Longitude: 0.2109 / 0°12'39"E

OS Eastings: 553736

OS Northings: 174155

OS Grid: TQ537741

Mapcode National: GBR TN.PTQ

Mapcode Global: VHHNT.LXTR

Entry Name: Range of Former Dartford Union Workhouse Facing on to West Hill

Listing Date: 25 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1251335

English Heritage Legacy ID: 434016

Location: Dartford, Kent, DA1

County: Kent

District: Dartford

Town: Dartford

Electoral Ward/Division: West Hill

Built-Up Area: Bexley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Dartford Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Dartford

Listing Text

1. WEST HILL
5274 (North Side)
Range of former Dartford
Union Workhouse facing
on to West Hill
TQ 57 SW
SP/563

II G.V

2.
Workhouse. Circa 1838 with later alterations. East wing comprises possibly mid C19
addition (shown as now on O.S map of 1868). Middle and west wings refurbished post
- 1909 (O.S map of 1909 shows through-passage in middle wing). Yellow stock brick
walls; middle and west wings with ashlar dressings; double pitched slate roof to east
wing. East Wing: three storeys. Eight blocked ground floor windows. Eight sash windows
with glazing bars to first floor; four windows to second floor. Interior: first floor
dormitory above mid C19 women's hall with C19 fireplace surround at each end; N.W
fireplace surround at second floor. Two straight baluster C19 iron and stone staircases.
Former ground floor register office with C19 fireplace surround with angle blocks;
former strong room with mortices for strong room door.
Middle and west wings: two storeys. Brick parapet with ashlar cornice and blocking
course. Sash windows with glazing bars. Middle wing: band; modillions to cornice.
Four bays each side of centre projecting bay; the last originally a through-passage,
but since early C20 faced with ashlar, with Venetian doorway with panelled door and
fanlight at ground floor, three-light first floor window and segmental pediment.
Windows with rubbed brick arches; aprons to first floor windows. Interior: former
board room at rear with coved cornice and tall sash windows; stairs of early C20 in
place of C19 through-passage; first floor C19 pilastered fireplace surround. East
wing: windows with eaved ashlar architraves, 4 to first floor and two, including
one paired window, below. Interior: fireplace surround of circa 1900 on first
floor; 4 panelled door.
Mid C19 functions of range shown clearly on O.S map of 1868.


Listing NGR: TQ5374974140

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1. WEST HILL
5274 (North Side)
Range of former Dartford
Union Workhouse facing
on to West Hill
TQ 57 SW
SP/563

II G.V

2.
Workhouse. Circa 1838 with later alterations. East wing comprises possibly mid C19
addition (shown as now on O.S map of 1868). Middle and west wings refurbished post
- 1909 (O.S map of 1909 shows through-passage in middle wing). Yellow stock brick
walls; middle and west wings with ashlar dressings; double pitched slate roof to east
wing. East Wing: three storeys. Eight blocked ground floor windows. Eight sash windows
with glazing bars to first floor; four windows to second floor. Interior: first floor
dormitory above mid C19 women's hall with C19 fireplace surround at each end; N.W
fireplace surround at second floor. Two straight baluster C19 iron and stone staircases.
Former ground floor register office with C19 fireplace surround with angle blocks;
former strong room with mortices for strong room door.
Middle and west wings: two storeys. Brick parapet with ashlar cornice and blocking
course. Sash windows with glazing bars. Middle wing: band; modillions to cornice.
Four bays each side of centre projecting bay; the last originally a through-passage,
but since early C20 faced with ashlar, with Venetian doorway with panelled door and
fanlight at ground floor, three-light first floor window and segmental pediment.
Windows with rubbed brick arches; aprons to first floor windows. Interior: former
board room at rear with coved cornice and tall sash windows; stairs of early C20 in
place of C19 through-passage; first floor C19 pilastered fireplace surround. East
wing: windows with eaved ashlar architraves, 4 to first floor and two, including
one paired window, below. Interior: fireplace surround of circa 1900 on first
floor; 4 panelled door.
Mid C19 functions of range shown clearly on O.S map of 1868.


Listing NGR: TQ5374974140

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.