This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1633 / 53°9'47"N
Longitude: -1.1935 / 1°11'36"W
OS Eastings: 454017
OS Northings: 363212
OS Grid: SK540632
Mapcode National: GBR 8DZ.R1P
Mapcode Global: WHDFS.MRW9
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 28 January 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1251828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 434670
Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG19
Electoral Ward/Division: Woodhouse
Built-Up Area: Mansfield Woodhouse
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Mansfield Woodhouse
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
MANSFIELD WOODHOUSE CHURCH STREET
SK 5463 SW
7/26 Church of
Parish church. 1310. Spire 1304. Restored 1847 by Sir G. G.
Scott. Further restored 1859. Chancel restored 1878. Chantry
chapel c.1920. Clergy vestry 1930. Snecked stone, dressed stone
and ashlar. Ashlar dressings. Slate, concrete tile and lead
roofs, gabled and lean-to. West tower with spire, nave, north
and south aisles, chancel, vestry, chantry chapel, north and
south porches. Moulded plinths, eaves and parapets. West tower.
C13. 2 stages. Single string course. 4 pairs of corner
buttresses, 3 setoffs, those to east engaged with aisles. First
stage has to south a small lancet. To west, shouldered C19 door
and sill band. Above, restored C14 double lancet with hood mould
and mask stops. To north, a lancet. Second stage has 4 double
cusped ogee headed bell openings with hood moulds. Clock faces
to south and east. Octagonal broach spire has 4 gabled lucarnes
with crosses, containing double ogee headed openings. Above, 4
similar smaller lucarnes, finial and weathercock. Nave has coped
east gable with cross and single round window. North aisle,
restored C19 in C15 style. 4 bays. Single corner and 4
intermediate gabled buttresses, 2 setoffs, 4 gargoyles. Side
wall stack to west. West end has a C14 double lancet with
Decorated tracery. North side has 3 triple ogee headed lancets
with Tudor arched reveals. North porch. C14, restored C19. 2
corner buttresses to north. Cove and roll moulded doorway with
filleted shafts, round bases and capitals. Hood mould and mask
stops. Large C19 hanging lamp. Interior has single wood bench
and scissor braced roof. Inner door double chamfered and rebated
with moulded head and C19 door. Vestry and organ chamber, C20,
has single corner and single side wall buttress and single
gargoyle to east. North side has shouldered door to east, and to
west, a small lancet. To its right, a trefoil light and a paired
lancet. Chancel, 2 bays, has coped east gable with cross. East
end has string course and sill band. C14 style 5 light lancet
with geometrical tracery, shafts, hood mould and mask stops.
South side has single corner buttress to east, and 2 lancets with
hood moulds. Chantry chapel, C20, single bay, has sill band and
coped east gable. Single corner buttress. East end has C14
style triple lancet with geometrical tracery,coved Tudor arched
head and hood mould. South side has a triple lancet with
Geometrical tracery, coved square headed reveal and hood mould.
South aisle, 4 bays, has moulded parapet with 4 gargoyles.
Corner buttress to west and 4 buttresses to south, gabled, 2
setoffs. South side has 3 late C14 triple lancets with cusped
ogee heads, Decorated tracery, chamfered Tudor arched reveals.
West end has C14 double lancet with cusped ogee heads and
Decorated tracery. South porch is identical to north porch.
Nave arcades, C14, restored, 4 bays. Each has 3 filleted
clustered piers and 2 matching responds, with water holding bases
and moulded capitals. Arches are chamfered and rebated, with
hood moulds. C19 kingpost roof has foliate corbels, arch braces,
collars and spine beam. Tower arch, C14, double chamfered and
rebated, with hood mould and filleted responds. Tower chamber
has west window with stained glass, C19, restored 1919. Bell
stage has 3 trefoiled corbels and foliate bosses. North aisle
has panelled dado and C19 lean-to roof with arch braces. South
aisle has similar roof and to east, C14 arch with moulded
octagonal imposts and 2 mask corbels, one C14. Oak screen in
C15 style, 1909. South side has east window with stained glass,
1879. To west, window with stained glass panel and Arms, to
Roland Dand, 1617. Fragment of Flemish stained glass, C14.
Chantry chapel has to east, panelled dado incorporating earlier
piscina as aumbry. East window has stained glass, C20. South
side has window with stained glass and brass, 1932. Low pitched
roof in C15 style. Chancel arch, C19, in C14 style. Moulded
arch, pair of filleted shafts with water holding bases, hood
mould and mask stops. Chancel north side has C19 arcade, 2 bays,
with foliate capitals, hood moulds and angel stops. Left bay
contains organ, right bay timber screen. Above, central pair of
shields with Arms. East window has stained glass, C19. South
side has to east, C19 piscina and aumbry with hood mould. To its
right, elaborate triple gabled sedilia with carved tableaux in
tympani, 1877. To right again, arch with traceried wooden
screen. Monuments include wall monument to Sir John and Lady
Lucy Digby, 1684. Shouldered ogee headed frame with inscribed
panel and, above draped cartouche with Arms, containing 2 life-
size effigies. Arch-top wall tablet, 1731. Classical style wall
monument with Corinthian pilasters and scrolled Arms, to John
Digby, 1747. Scrolled and draped cartouche with putti and skull,
early C18. Tablet with Corinthian pilasters, apron with Arms,
and broken pediment with bust, to Johannis Neale, 1725. Wall
tablets, 1761 and 7 C19. Charity board, early C19. Brass C19
and C20. Pair of sculptured heads from gravestone, C14.
Fittings include pillar piscina with round stem, flanking shafts,
square top and base. Font, C14, restored, octagonal plinth, stem
with water holding base, round tub, C19 conical wooden cover.
C19 ashlar pulpit, octagonal, with traceried panels, on figure
carved corbel. C19 wooden lectern. Shaped, moulded C19 mahogany
benches with fleur de lys finials. Panelled stalls, early C20.
Armchair with chip-carved back, mid C17.
Listing NGR: SK5401763212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings