This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2262 / 51°13'34"N
Longitude: -2.8881 / 2°53'17"W
OS Eastings: 338078
OS Northings: 147821
OS Grid: ST380478
Mapcode National: GBR MB.323C
Mapcode Global: VH7D5.WFJV
Plus Code: 9C3V64G6+FQ
Entry Name: Parish Church of Holy Cross parish Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 9 February 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252187
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435144
Location: Mark, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA9
Civil Parish: Mark
Built-Up Area: Mark
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CHURCH STREET (South side),
Parish Church of St Mark (or Holy Cross)
Parish Church. C13, mainly C14 and C15, restored 1864. Coursed and squared rubble, slate and lead sheeting roofs, North
aisle and porch with a pierced parapet with pinnacles. Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, North and South aisles, North and
South chapels, West tower, North and South porches, the latter now a vestry. Three stage tower, set back buttresses,
terminating in diagonal shafts with pinnacles; triple 2-light bell chamber windows to top stage, centre pierced, those
flanking blank shafts with pinnacles to each side and between them; pierced parapet. West doorway, above it a 4-light
window; crocketed niche to North side of second stage, two similar on East side; remainder of window openings of 2 and
3-lights, 5-light East window.
Two bay arcade to South aisle probably c1400, the piers of four shafts with fillets;
chancel arch and south chapel arch also of this period. Later 6-bay North aisle, the arcade piers of 4 waves section,
contemporary the arches from the chancel to the North and South chapels; stair turret to former rood loft in North
aisle. Chancel with piscina and sedilia, probably C15, 4 squints. South door with Perpendicular tracery. Restored wagon
roof to nave with bosses, corbels carved as heads, one as King Edward VII, another as Queen Alexandra. North aisle with
panelled lean-to roof on corbels, carved as angels; 96 wooden panels, each carved, to North and South sides carved
angels with spread wings. Plain roof to South aisle and chapel; C19 roofs to North chapel and the chancel. Wall
monument of 1798 to Jane Gilling; 6 principal C19 wall monuments, by Tyley of Bristol, Lancaster and Walker of Bristol,
and Pollard of Taunton. Painted medallion of 1754 over the North door. Two late C18 painted wooden plaques under the
tower recording local charities. Richly furnished. Pulpit of c1634; Perpendicular rood screen, rebuilt 1634; elaborate
C15 stone font, C17 cover; 4 figures of the Evangelists to chancel, carved in wood by Andre, c1574, lodged in Bruges
Cathedral until 1794; C18 altar rail; brass chandelier of 1758; C17 altar table; royal arms above South door; 3
medieval pews and 2 medieval parish chests, table and 2 coffin stools of C17, 4 early C19 chairs in a Gothick style.
C19 pews and choir stalls. some C19 stained glass, C15 glass in West window of North aisle. Some C18 wall panelling.
Two terracotta lions outside North porch. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: ST3807847823
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings