This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6854 / 53°41'7"N
Longitude: -0.4393 / 0°26'21"W
OS Eastings: 503168
OS Northings: 422128
OS Grid: TA031221
Mapcode National: GBR TTCT.PL
Mapcode Global: WHGFX.7M1J
Entry Name: Former National School
Listing Date: 2 September 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1252199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 435165
Location: Barton-upon-Humber, North Lincolnshire, DN18
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Barton-upon-Humber
Built-Up Area: Barton-upon-Humber
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Barton on Humber St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
711/2/10000 QUEEN STREET
02-SEP-92 (East side)
FORMER NATIONAL SCHOOL
Former National Infants, Boys and Girls School of 1844-45, designed by William
Hey Dykes junior of Hull and Wakefield, architect, with Samuel Wilderspin,
educationalist and headmaster, for the Church of England and the National
Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established
Church. Pickard and Willington of Barton, builders. 1935 addition to rear
in matching style and materials. Red brick in Flemish bond with stone
dreesings to front and right return (Infant School). Welsh slate roof.
Tudor Revival style. H-shaped on plan. Infants School to right, Boys to left and girls to centre; later infill to rear centre and short projecting wing to rear left. Single storey, 5-bay symmetrical front with gabled central porch and projecting gabled wings. Plinth, quoins. Porch has double board door in double-chamfered Tudor-arched surround with hoodmould; pointed-arched inner doorway with chamfered stone surround. Flanking bays have pairs of cross-windows. Wings each have a single large 5-light mullioned and transomed window with a hood-mould, and finely-carved stone tablet above with arms in a sunken panel with a cusped surround (Royal Arms to left, arms of Rev. George Uppleby, rector, to right). Inner elevations of wings, facing centre, have a single board door in a chamfered 4-centred arch. Windows have wooden mullions and transoms in chamfered stone reveals; mostly boarded up at time of re-survey. Porch and wings have stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers and gablets at the apexes. Five ridge ventilators with cone finials; roof stack to front right. Side and rear elevations have mulllioned and transomed windows in stone and moulded brick surrounds with stone sills. Stone-coped dwarf wall to front carrying cast-iron railings with a single top rail, shaped finials and scrolled rear supports (further section of railings stored in school); central gateway has elaborate openwork cast-iron piers with corniced cap.
INTERIOR: 4-centred arched doorways, exposed plain roof trusses in entrance passage and above later suspended ceilings in rooms; three C19 cast-iron fireplaces with shafted surrounds, pointed aches, frieze and cornice. Infant schoolroom has movable partition and later panelled dado at east end. Evidence of the former 'gallery' or stepped platform which was such an important feature of Wilderspin's schools can be seen on the rear walls.
HISTORY: The National School superseded a smaller one superintended by Isaac Pitman, the shorthand inventor. When originally opened it served 100 infants from 2 to 6 years old, 150 boys and 150 girls. It closed in 1978. It is especially notable for its connection with Samuel Wilderspin (1791-1866), the pioneer or 'inventor' of infant education and a figure of international standing. Wilderspin was more closely involved here than at any other school, raising support for it and contributing to the design and layout of the building and its grounds to suit his innovative educational approach. He was head of the Infant School and both his wife and daughter taught here with him; whilst here he also undertook training of infant teachers and nursery overseers, and wrote his definitive teaching manual 'Wilderspin's Manual for the Religious and Moral Instruction of Young Children'. In 1846 he was given a Civil List Pension for his 'services as the founder and promoter of Infant Schools'. The school building forms part of a fine group of Victorian public buildings in Queen Street and neighbouring High Street (qv).
SOURCES: R C Russell, A History of Schools and Education in Barton on Humber, 1 800-1 850,Barton, 1960; P McCann and F A Young, Samuel Wilderspin and the Infant School Movement, London, 1982; J. French, 'A Victorian Legacy', pp. 221-225, in Land, People and Landscapes, ed. D. Tyszka et al, Lincoln, 1991. Thomas A Markus, Early Nineteenth Century School Space and Ideology, International Journal of the History of Education, XXXII, 1996, 1, pp. 9-51. Margaret Rees, `Teachers and Teaching 1800-1860, Hitchin, 1999.
Listing NGR: TA0316822128
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings