History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ukranian Catholic Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5906 / 53°35'26"N

Longitude: -0.6381 / 0°38'17"W

OS Eastings: 490245

OS Northings: 411313

OS Grid: SE902113

Mapcode National: GBR RVZX.NL

Mapcode Global: WHGGD.50FN

Plus Code: 9C5XH9R6+7Q

Entry Name: Ukranian Catholic Church

Listing Date: 23 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1253136

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436272

Location: North Lincolnshire, DN15

County: North Lincolnshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Scunthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Frodingham and New Brumby

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Scunthorpe

Description

SCUNTHORPE
SE 91 SW

1109-/2/10002 HIGH STREET EAST
Ukranian Catholic Church

II


Former court house, now Ukranian Catholic church. 1895. Designed by the County
Surveyor, James Thropp. Red brick with Ancaster stone dressings, and Welsh slate roofs.
A single and a double tall, brick, octagonal, ridge stacks. Curved Dutch gables with ashlar
coping and kneelers. Double chamfered brick plinth. U-plan. Street front has recessed
centre, with 3 round arched ashlar doorways, each moulded arch has rusticated voussoirs
and keystones linked to truncated Ionic pilasters to the ashlar entablature above. Each
doorway has a double 8-panel door and glazed fanlight. Above a central plaque dated
1895 to the brick parapet with ashlar coping, a small central gable and ball finials.
Eitherside are low single storey wings, that to the left smaller with 2 plain sashes and that
to the right with 3 plain sashes, both with linking moulded hood band, and above a small
fixed light. North-west front has a tall gable to the right with a large 6-light cross mullion
window with hood mould, and above a 2-light mullion window. To the left a low wing
with a single and a 4-light mullion window with plain sashes. South-east front is similar,
but with only a 4-light mullion window to the low wing. Interior. Former court room
retains its original wooden roof with exposed trusses supported on ashlar corbels. Panelled
wooden dado and classical wooden doorcases with 6-panel doors. It also contains late C19
wooden pews inserted when converted to a church.


Listing NGR: SE9024511313

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.