This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0477 / 51°2'51"N
Longitude: -4.0706 / 4°4'14"W
OS Eastings: 254956
OS Northings: 129630
OS Grid: SS549296
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.G8M5
Mapcode Global: FRA 26CB.VCD
Entry Name: Corffe House little Corffe
Listing Date: 9 March 1953
Last Amended: 18 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1253751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 437057
Location: Tawstock, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Tawstock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tawstock St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 52 NW
3/80 Corffe House and Little Corffe
9.3.53 (formerly listed as Corfe)
House, now in 2 occupations. West wing contains probably late C16 fabric,
remodelled c.1800 when the main range was built. Painted rendered stone rubble and
brick. Hipped slate roof with shaped brackets to deep projecting eaves soffit.
Brick ridge stacks to main range and diagonally set twin brick stacks to gable end of
Main range has 3 principal rooms on the garden front with rear hall passage
containing staircase to centre and principal entrance to right (east) side. The
earlier wing set back slightly, extends westwards from left side.
Main range. 3 storeys. 3 window range. Symmetrical central ground floor bow
window with 3 tall 18-paned sashes flanked by large tripartite sashes, 18 panes to
centre sash and 6 paned sliding sidelight sashes. The bow is surmounted by wrought
iron balcony railings and canted timber latticed verandah with tent-shaped roof.
French windows with fanlight and glazed sidelights. 12-paned sashes to each side.
Third storey has 3 over 6 paned sashes flanking 4 over 8 paned sash. Deeply
projecting porch to right side with cluster to 3 Tuscan columns of square section
supporting entablature. Tripartite doorway with half-glazed 2 panelled door and
intersecting glazing bars to the fanlight.
Wing to left has 3 window range. 3 light timber ovolo mullion window at left end,
the outer lights with square leaded panes. Large 15 paned window to centre and
early c19 2-light casement to right, 8 panes per light.
Ground floor has 24-paned sash with thick glazing bars at left end, otherwise C20
Interior: main range has fine central room, with large panels on 3 walls containing
medallions suspended from swags, finely moulded plasterwork cornice and foliated
string around oval centrepiece, all in the Adam style. Slender marble colonnettes
flanking fireplace. Moulded plasterwork cornices to the principal rooms on either
side. The joinery, including 6 panelled doors and window shutters, is intact. Dog-
leg staircase rising to third storey and lit by tall round arched stair window has
tick balusters and moulded handrail ramped up at the newels.
The earlier wing has elaborately moulded cross beam and bressumers, chamfered
fireplace lintel and scratch-moulded joists to room at left end.
Listing NGR: SS5495629630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings