History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashling ashling Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Adel and Wharfedale, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8573 / 53°51'26"N

Longitude: -1.5827 / 1°34'57"W

OS Eastings: 427547

OS Northings: 440198

OS Grid: SE275401

Mapcode National: GBR KRDV.40

Mapcode Global: WHC95.N9KS

Entry Name: Ashling ashling Cottage

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Last Amended: 11 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1256325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 465037

Location: Leeds, LS16

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: Adel and Wharfedale

Built-Up Area: Leeds

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Adel St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Bramhope

Listing Text


LEEDS

SE24SE BACK CHURCH LANE, Adel
714-1/2/464 (South side (off))
19/10/51 Ashling and Aisling Cottage
(Formerly Listed as:
BACK CHURCH LANE, Adel
(South side (off))
Adel Rectory)

GV II

Rectory, now 2 private houses. Late C18 with remains of C17
and possibly earlier house to rear. Coursed squared gritstone
and rubble, some herring-bone tooling, ashlar details, stone
slate roofs.
The present main range, now Ashling, faces south: 2 storeys, 5
bays, central 3 bays break forward with moulded pediment;
plinth and quoins. Central mid C19 stone porch with pilasters
and entablature; sashes with glazing bars, ground-floor sill
band, plain lintels. Ashlar stacks to rear of ridge, at each
end of hipped roof. Left return: turned quoins indicate that
the main range is of 2 builds; a 16- and a 9-pane sash window;
rear wing, left, now Aisling Cottage, has plain surround to
entrance right, facade facing rear yard has chamfered doorway
with replaced lintel and altered plank door left; the reset
original lintel to right has a flattened ogee arch, carved
spandrels and inscription: '1652 WC'. Right return: a 2-storey
mid-C18 bay window right, small-pane sashes replaced, in
Aisling Cottage.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
William Clarkson is thought to have altered a timber-framed
house in 1652; the E side bay window was added by the Rector
William Jackson c1740 and a new front range, with stair-hall,
Adam-style fireplace and corridor linking to the old range,
was added 1766-70 by Sandford Hardcastle. Work continued to
c1819 for the Revd George Lewthwaite, roof raised, service
buildings added including kitchen with metal-lined shutters,
probably the date for the alterations to the C17 doorway and
resetting of the lintel. In 1858 the building was remodelled
again, for Henry Trail Simpson, including reroofing and the
porch added. In 1946-7 the rear wing became a separate cottage
and the church sold the building in 1975.



Listing NGR: SE2754840207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.