History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

York Arts Centre

A Grade II* Listed Building in Micklegate, York

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9575 / 53°57'26"N

Longitude: -1.0854 / 1°5'7"W

OS Eastings: 460112

OS Northings: 451652

OS Grid: SE601516

Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.T3

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.9SDH

Entry Name: York Arts Centre

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Last Amended: 14 March 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1257279

English Heritage Legacy ID: 464067

Location: York, YO1

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Micklegate Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
York

Listing Text


YORK

SE6051NW MICKLEGATE
1112-1/28/693 (North side)
14/06/54 York Arts Centre
(Formerly Listed as:
MICKLEGATE
City Arts Centre)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Church of St John the Evangelist
OUSEBRIDGE.
Church, now arts centre. Early C12 lower stage to tower; C14
chancel north arch; north aisle and arcade remodelled, and
west end extended, in late C15; late C15 south aisle and
arcade. In 1551 part of north aisle and arcade rebuilt
following partial collapse of tower; belfry of 1646. Extensive
restoration in 1850, when east end was rebuilt and south porch
added; further restorations of 1866, when nave was re-roofed,
and c1955. 1850 work by G Fowler Jones; 1866 restoration by JB
and W Atkinson; C20 conversion by University of York Design
Unit. Re-roofed and further alterations c1990.
MATERIALS: dressed gritstone and magnesian limestone, with C19
work of dressed sandstone; C16 repairs in red brick;
timber-framed belfry with red brick infilling. Tile and slate
main roof of three parallel spans; tiled pyramidal roof to
tower, with wrought-iron finial.
PLAN: double-aisled continuous 1-bay chancel and 3-bay nave;
south porch; 2-stage internal tower and belfry towards west
end.
EXTERIOR: east end: triple-gabled, with C19 windows
replicating the originals. 3-light chancel window with cusped
intersecting tracery in 2-centred arch beneath corbel-stopped
hood; panel-traceried north and south aisle windows of 4 and 3
cinquefoiled lights respectively, in 4-centred arches with
corbelled hoodmoulds. North side has angle and intermediate
buttresses. Doorway in 2-centred arch towards west end. To
east, three windows each of 3 trefoil-headed lights with panel
tracery, easternmost blocked. At west end, window of paired
cusped lights, repaired in brick. All openings in chamfered
reveals. South side: bays separated by offset buttresses with
crocketed pinnacles. Towards west end, gabled porch projects,
with 2-centred arch of two roll-moulded orders with decaying
moulded capitals, beneath head-stopped hoodmould. East of
porch are three windows of 3 cinquefoiled lights and panel
tracery in 4-centred arched openings, beneath head-stopped
hoodmoulds; at east end, similar window of 2 lights. At west
end, window of 2 trefoiled lights and panel tracery beneath
flattened arch. Window openings are hollow-chamfered. Sill
string course and moulded eaves string beneath embattled
parapet.
West end not visible. Belfry has square louvred openings to

south and east; gabled, louvred lucarne to south.
INTERIOR: 3-bay north and south arcades of 2-centred
double-chamfered arches, octagonal columns and responds.
Responds to easternmost arch of north arcade have moulded
capitals. Of remaining arches, the inner order dies into
piers, the outer terminates in elongated block corbels. At
east end of south arcade is a large opening, probably a
squint, with splayed, chamfered reveal. East opening beneath
tower not visible; north and south arches are low, 2-centred,
continuously chamfered. Above north and south arches, traces
of second stage window arches of voussoirs remain. To west,
blocked original window in deeply splayed and chamfered
reveal. Extension west of tower on two chamfered half arches
which act as flying buttresses against tower west face.
Original panelled ceilings to aisles survive, with moulded
ties and beams, and carved bosses. Nave roof is C19
hammer-beam replacement.
MONUMENTS: north aisle: keyed, round-headed marble tablet with
winged cherub head beneath, to Nathaniel Wilson, d.1726, and
his wife, Elizabeth, d.1736. At east end, altar tomb said to
be that of Sir Richard Yorke, d.1498, with panelled sides of
quatrefoils incorporating heraldic shields.
North arcade: tablet with bands of guilloche decoration, to
John Scott, d.1775; white marble monument to Christopher
Benson, d.1801, and members of his family, signed 'Stead of
York'.
South arcade: two cartouches, one to Anne Haynes, d.1747, the
other to Elizabeth Potter, "faithful servant 26 years in one
family", d.1766.
South aisle: marble tablet to Luke Thompson, d.1743, and
Grace, his wife, d.1776. At east end, pedimented tablet to
Thomas Bennett, d.1773, and Elizabeth, his wife, d.1825, with
weeping willow leaning over a sarcophagus and scrolled
inscription; signed 'Bennett S.Y."
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-:
16-20).


Listing NGR: SE6011251652

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.