This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7872 / 51°47'13"N
Longitude: 1.1481 / 1°8'53"E
OS Eastings: 617221
OS Northings: 214528
OS Grid: TM172145
Mapcode National: GBR TQZ.WLT
Mapcode Global: VHLD4.VBBR
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 5 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463334
Location: Tendring, Essex, CO15
Electoral Ward/Division: St James
Built-Up Area: Clacton-on-Sea
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Clacton St James
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM115E CLACTON ON SEA BEATRICE ROAD
1665/11/10000 CHURCH OF ST JAMES
Church. Built during 1912-13 to the designs of Temple Moore (1856-1920). Two further bays and a west tower were intended but never built. Exterior in simplified Perpendicular style built of cement render with Bath stone dressings and tiled roof. Nave of 3 bays with south west porch and tall chancel of 4 bays with clerestorey, 3 bay north east chapel and south cast combined chapel with organ chamber above. Nave has tall paired traceried windows divided by buttresses, ogee-arched doorease to south east and south west porch with side lancets and arched doorcase flanked by buttresses. Chancel has clerestorey with double paired lancets, chapels have triple trefoliated headed windows and four-light shnilu window to east. Easternmost bay has arched traceried window. East end has four-centred arched window to clerestorey and blocked traceried window below with Calvary. Angle buttresses. Interior of mainly Romanesque character. Nave has barrel-vaulted ceiling with plain tiebeams on corbels. Aisles have roof of crownpost type. Elaborate carved oak octagonal pulpit with octagonal canopy above. Chancel has Romanesque arcades to the south and Moorish to the north. Fretted choir screen with cinquefoil-headed panels below. North east chapel has a series of fine early C20 stained glass windows, mainly to members of the Nicholson family. Sanctuary has carved reredos by Ninian Comper.
Listing NGR: TM1722114528
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings