History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Pay Office Building Number 104

A Grade II Listed Building in Sheerness, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4438 / 51°26'37"N

Longitude: 0.75 / 0°44'59"E

OS Eastings: 591203

OS Northings: 175234

OS Grid: TQ912752

Mapcode National: GBR RS1.JFC

Mapcode Global: VHKJ0.YZB1

Plus Code: 9F32CPVX+GX

Entry Name: Former Pay Office Building Number 104

Listing Date: 18 January 1972

Last Amended: 13 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1258985

English Heritage Legacy ID: 445988

Location: Swale, Kent, ME12

County: Kent

Electoral Ward/Division: Sheerness

Built-Up Area: Sheerness

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Sheerness

Description

TQ 9175 SW MAIN ROAD
(North side), Sheerness
Dockyard
933/2/104
Former Pay Office, Building
18.01.1972 No.104

GV II


Pay office, now offices. 1828, probably by William Miller, Admiralty architect, and Sir John Rennie, engineer; altered 1892, repaired and extended after fire 1980s. Yellow stock brick with stone dressings, and slate hipped roof. PLAN: central axial hall with offices and pay room in the W bay and guard room in the 2 E bays, with 1987 single-room extension to the north. EXTERIOR: 2-storeys and basement; 5-bay front with 6-bay sides. Symmetrical front with plat band, cornice and blocking course, the three central bays set back, rubbed brick heads to round-arched windows all round, those in the front in matching recesses. Outer 2-light and inner 4-light transom windows with fanlights, central doorway with 2-leaf panelled doors, flat-headed first-floor 616-pane thin-bar sashes; formerly entrance to the left of the doorway. Matching side elevations, the E side with doorways at both ends. Rear formerly as the front, has 1987 2-storey extension, slightly lower but modelled on the front, with a 2 Tuscan columns to a flat canopy. INTERIOR not inspected, but reported to contain three cast-iron Tuscan columns along the axis of the hall, cantilevered stone open well stair to the right of the door (formerly another at the opposite end), NW strong room with an iron door, basement with fish-belly cast-iron joists across central passage; king post roof. HISTORY: built during the second phase of work in the Yard, after the dock walls and engineering works were complete. Has some similarities with the Pay Offices at Devonport and Portsmouth, both of which contain fire-proof elements (qqv). Unlike the other Royal dockyards, Sheerness was rebuilt all at the same time. The Pay Office is part of the complete north-east section of the Yard, part of a unique planned C19 dockyard. (Sources: Rennie Sir J: The Formation and Construction of British and Foreign Harbours: London: 1851: 41 ; Sheerness, The Dockyard, Defences and Blue Town: 1995: NMR BI 93279).

Listing NGR: TQ9120375234

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.