This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2592 / 53°15'32"N
Longitude: -1.915 / 1°54'54"W
OS Eastings: 405765
OS Northings: 373576
OS Grid: SK057735
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2R.6D
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.KB9S
Entry Name: The Old Court House Shops and Restaurant
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259237
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463083
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Buxton Central
Built-Up Area: Buxton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0573NE GEORGE STREET
616-1/3/36 (South side)
The Old Court House, shops and
Formerly known as: Court House GEORGE STREET.
Also known as: Masonic Hall, Court House GEORGE STREET.
Marked on the OS map as Masonic Hall.
Former estate office, court house and Masonic hall, now shops
and restaurant. Mid C18, altered 1803-1806 by John White for
the Duke of Devonshire, with C19 alterations and C20
refurbishment. Coursed and dressed millstone grit with ashlar
dressings and Welsh slate roofs with stone stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 3-storey. Street front 11 windows
arranged 2:5:2:2 each under separate roofs. Set-back wing to
left 3 storey and 2 windows. 2 round headed openings on ground
floor, partly obscured by external stone staircase with iron
balustrade leading to upper floor and glazed panel door with
overlight, to left a 3/3 sash, and above 2 further 3/3 sashes.
Projecting central 2 storey 5-window range, with first-floor
sill band and coped blind parapet. Central doorway with raised
surround and glazed door with overlight flanked by C20
tripartite shopfronts and doors, beyond either side round
headed, former, doorways with C20 shopfronts and blocked
arches. Above 5 very tall 4/2 sashes. Set-back wing to right 2
storey, 2 windows, with central former doorway with fixed
window and to left a round headed doorway with C20 double
doors and fixed window beyond, to right 2 former doorways now
with enlarged C20 shopfronts. Above 2 plain sashes with C20
louvred shutters, linked by sill band. Set-back single storey
wing to right with 2 round headed openings with linking impost
band and keystones, both with plate glass shop windows and
Rear main block originally 5 windows, central round headed
doorway now blocked, with later doors to right built over to
left. Above central window blocked, with 2 sashes to left and
2 blocked windows to right.
INTERIOR: of main block: re-roofed C20: 1st floor with new
partitions retains original details such as some folding
panelled shutters to windows, moulded door surrounds; one with
prominent moulded architrave, 4-panelled doors (one folding
door), engaged columns and some raised panelling. The ground
floor is vaulted. The right-hand blocks have been
substantially altered C20.
Reputedly built as Estate Office for the Duke of Devonshire,
used as Court House, Assembly Rooms and Masonic Hall.
(Leach John: The Book Of Buxton: Leicester: 1987-).
Listing NGR: SK0576573576
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings