History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates, Walls and Railings to Former Churchyard of St Mary Bishophill Senior wall Bounding Former Churchyard of St Mary Bishophill Senior

A Grade II Listed Building in Micklegate, York

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9553 / 53°57'19"N

Longitude: -1.0852 / 1°5'6"W

OS Eastings: 460129

OS Northings: 451408

OS Grid: SE601514

Mapcode National: GBR NQVP.VW

Mapcode Global: WHFC3.9VH5

Entry Name: Gates, Walls and Railings to Former Churchyard of St Mary Bishophill Senior wall Bounding Former Churchyard of St Mary Bishophill Senior

Listing Date: 14 March 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1259553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 462797

Location: York, YO1

County: York

Electoral Ward/Division: Micklegate

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: York St Mary, Bishophill Junior

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
York

Listing Text


YORK

SE6051SW BISHOPHILL SENIOR
1112-1/21/40 (North East side)
Gates, walls and railings to former
churchyard of St Mary Bishophill
Senior

II

Includes: Wall bounding former churchyard of St Mary
Bishophill Senior CARR LANE.
Walls and railings, with gates and gate piers, bounding former
churchyard of St Mary's Church, Bishophill Senior, to
south-east and south-west (church now demolished). c1860,
incorporating sections of earlier wall. Railings probably from
the Walker Foundry. Walls of coursed dressed stone
incorporating stretch of brick wall; ashlar gate piers;
cast-iron gates and railings.
Carriage gate piers octagonal on plan, with stepped polygonal
caps above moulded cornice; foot gate piers square on plan,
caps lost. Double carriage gates of railings with fleur-de-lys
finials and bands of quatrefoil castings; single pedestrian
gate similar. Walls varying from approximately 1.0 to 1.75
metres in height, with sloped coping, raked-up on south-east
side. Standards octagonal on plan with tapering finials, and
diagonally set railings, with alternating pointed and
fleur-de-lys finials.
The church of St Mary Bishophill Senior was demolished in
1963. In 1859-60, it was restored by JB and W Atkinson, with
whom William Walker frequently worked. Similar gates and
cast-iron piers were ordered from William Walker by the Little
Blake Street Improvement Committee in 1863. Wall to south-east
thought to incorporate remains of wall to possible Saxon
burial ground.
(Pace GG: Bishophill: York: York: 1974-: 6-7; City of York:
RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 35-36; York
Historian: Malden J: The Walker Ironfoundry, York,
c.1825-1923: York: 1976-: 37).

Listing NGR: SE6012951408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.