History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Derwentside Area Council Offices

A Grade II Listed Building in Stanley, County Durham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8711 / 54°52'15"N

Longitude: -1.6982 / 1°41'53"W

OS Eastings: 419466

OS Northings: 552965

OS Grid: NZ194529

Mapcode National: GBR JDL3.4N

Mapcode Global: WHC42.WTJM

Entry Name: Derwentside Area Council Offices

Listing Date: 21 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1260825

English Heritage Legacy ID: 439372

Location: Stanley, County Durham, DH9

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Stanley

Built-Up Area: Stanley

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Stanley and South Moor

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Beamish Station

Listing Text

NZ 15 SE STANLEY FRONT STREET
(North side)
Stanley
7/166 Derwentside Area Council
Offices
II
Former Council offices. 1911 by J.W. Wilson of Sutton Coldfield (plaque in entrance
hall). Sandstone ashlar; roof of large grey slates. Baroque style. 2 storeys,
3 wide bays; symmetrical. Central partly-glazed double door with sidelights
and blocked fanlight in semicircular porch with 2 Ionic columns and dentilled
entablature. Stone mullioned-and-transomed window recessed above has 2 rows
of 6 lights, filling space between outer bays; these have rusticated pilasters
framing 3-, 2- and 3-light windows with long keys, the central with scroll,
under entablature; dentilled open pediment rests on first-floor Ionic pilasters
which frame shallow oriels and side lights under long key and Diocletian window
in each pediment, with long radiating voussoirs extending to eaves band of
pediment. Long left return has rusticated ground floor and keyed windows under
dentilled eaves.
C20 dormer filling space between and behind pediments.


Listing NGR: NZ1946152947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

NZ 15 SE STANLEY FRONT STREET
(North side)
Stanley
7/166 Derwentside Area Council
Offices
II
Former Council offices. 1911 by J.W. Wilson of Sutton Coldfield (plaque in entrance
hall). Sandstone ashlar; roof of large grey slates. Baroque style. 2 storeys,
3 wide bays; symmetrical. Central partly-glazed double door with sidelights
and blocked fanlight in semicircular porch with 2 Ionic columns and dentilled
entablature. Stone mullioned-and-transomed window recessed above has 2 rows
of 6 lights, filling space between outer bays; these have rusticated pilasters
framing 3-, 2- and 3-light windows with long keys, the central with scroll,
under entablature; dentilled open pediment rests on first-floor Ionic pilasters
which frame shallow oriels and side lights under long key and Diocletian window
in each pediment, with long radiating voussoirs extending to eaves band of
pediment. Long left return has rusticated ground floor and keyed windows under
dentilled eaves.
C20 dormer filling space between and behind pediments.


Listing NGR: NZ1946152947

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.