This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0636 / 51°3'48"N
Longitude: -1.7999 / 1°47'59"W
OS Eastings: 414118
OS Northings: 129379
OS Grid: SU141293
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.7RB
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.QMD
Entry Name: The Walton Company
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1261267
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319059
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
No 69 (The Walton Canonry)
SU 1429 SW 5/6 28.2.52.
Built 1720. 3 storey. Deep rose coloured brick with stone bands at ground
and lst floor levels. Moulded stone cornice, tall parapet with stone coping,
plain stone corner pilasters, carried full height to top of parapet, and with
cornice broken over. Old tile roof with flanking chimneys. The main ground
floor approximately 6 ft above ground level and approached on east and west
fronts by a wide flight of 12 stone steps with plain wrought iron guard rails.
7 windows on 1st floor and 6 on ground floor all with rubbed brick arches
and keystones. Tall 6-panel central door with stone architrave surround, small
key block, stone frieze and cornice on carved console brackets with segmental
broken pediment-and central cartouche with supporting swags.
6 casements with C19 lights to lower ground floor.
Symmetrical flanking wings, 2 storeys of similar brick and old tile roofs
hipped at ends.
The west front is generally similar but with some old stonework in the walls.
The central door is glazed, and has a coved hood over with shell ornament
to soffit, supported on small brackets. The main ground floor windows have
Interior has good open string staircase and panelling. Earlier house on this
site occupied in 1697 by Isaac Walton son of the author of the "Complete Angler."
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1411629376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings