History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Physics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology and Old Anatomy Schools Together with Former Medical Museum to Rear thompson Yates Laboratories

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Liverpool

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4069 / 53°24'24"N

Longitude: -2.9665 / 2°57'59"W

OS Eastings: 335845

OS Northings: 390447

OS Grid: SJ358904

Mapcode National: GBR 78N.9P

Mapcode Global: WH877.DMMJ

Plus Code: 9C5VC24M+QC

Entry Name: Physics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology and Old Anatomy Schools Together with Former Medical Museum to Rear thompson Yates Laboratories

Listing Date: 25 January 1990

Last Amended: 3 July 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1262050

English Heritage Legacy ID: 436055

Location: Central, Liverpool, L69

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: St Luke in the City Team

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Liverpool

Description


SJ 3590 SE
55/793

CITY OF LIVERPOOL
ASHTON STREET

Physics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology and Old Anatomy Schools together with former Medical Museum to rear.

(Formerly listed as: Physics, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology and Old Anatomy Schools)

GV
II
University lecture rooms and offices. 1901-1904 by Alfred Waterhouse (his last recorded work) and completed by his son Paul Waterhouse. Gault brick with terracotta detailing; Welsh slate roofs.

Plan: a long and varied range that runs parallel to Waterhouse's Victoria Buildings (Ref 55/103) forming the north side of a quadrangle. Mainly three storeys with basement; many changes of plane and varied roof-lines animate the principal elevation which (to the left) returns to form the rear wing of the Anatomy School, and (to the right) returns forward by one bay to form part of the west side of the quadrangle adjacent to Ashton Building Row (Ref 55/176).

There are three principal sections: (1) the Physics and Biochemistry blocks to the right; (2) Thompson Yates Laboratories (Physiology and Pathology); (3) Anatomy Building to the left.

(1) The Physics and Biochemistry blocks are connected by a two-storey vehicular arching with wide semi-circular arch (brick with stone voussoirs forming horizontal bands), and four-light window above set between shallow pilasters; moulded string and cornice band. To the right (Physics), roughly central four-stage tower with pyramidal cap, two- and three-light windows of varied design to each stage; gabled two and four window range to left and right respectively, then to left with two corbelled stone 1:2:1 light oriels with two wide three-light windows under shallow segmental chamfered arches below, and, to right, the principal entrance set within deeply splayed surround and round-headed arch with decorative stone detailing and elaborate copperwork nameplate filling tympanum; simple two-light windows to other floors. To the left of connecting arch, a more simply treated four-bay range (Biochemistry), with entrance bay to extreme left (stone rusticated architrave and pediment) of an otherwise symmetrical composition under central gable; simple terracotta pilasters, stone strings and 2 and 3-light windows with stone mullions and transoms.

(2) The Thompson Yates Building is a long ten window range punctuated by three gabled shallow wings; tall two-light windows throughout with, for part of its length, a blind arcade of pointed arches below eaves level; sill and lintel bands; to left gable a large terracotta name plaque adourned with semi-reclining figures. End and ridge stacks with coupled shafts separated by central arch. Rear with impressive stair turret, heavily buttressed with staggered round-headed windows.

(3) Anatomy Building. Gabled wing to right, four storeys, the mainly three-light windows set under a superordinate arch. Regular fenestration between this and the left corner which is occupied by the Lecture Theatres: here five segmental bays are divided by full-height buttresses, each with set-offs and gable. Deeply overhanging eaves to slate roof of two pitches, the slope divided by three-light windows (forming a clerestory to upper theatres); tall two-light windows to lower floors. Left return with elaborately treated projecting entrance tower will all-over terracotta detailing; three storey side elevation, five bays with regular paired windows to each floor, the two lower floors with superordinate arch.

Ashton Street range (of Physics and Biochemistry Building): asymmetrical seven bay range under three gables. The four left-hand bays of 1:2:1 with moulded cornice, the gable with flanking pinnacles. Two-light windows to all floors, those to ground and first floor with transoms as well as mullions; keyed oculus to gable wall. Right-hand bays of different build with square-headed windows to upper floors, all of two lights, the ground floor windows with segmental arches, the three-light casement windows deeply recessed. To the rear of these ranges is the former Medical Museum; brick ashlar faced to two sides with slate and part-glazed roof.1873; it formed an extension in the same Classical style to a substantial range of 1844, (School of Medicine), now demolished. Shaped plinth, Tuscan pilasters, pedimented to north end facing Dover Street. To ashlared north and west elevations central, part blocked windows with architrave and pediment (segmental to north).

Interior: four-bay roof with iron canted principals and decorated spandrels. Narrow balcony to all sides with Gothic iron tracery fontals, shaped brackets and thick glazed floor designed to give light to specimens displayed below. Tiled floor. An interesting survival of a late-C19 museum.

Listing NGR: SJ3584590447

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.