This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8141 / 50°48'50"N
Longitude: -0.3752 / 0°22'30"W
OS Eastings: 514565
OS Northings: 102872
OS Grid: TQ145028
Mapcode National: GBR HMH.V9M
Mapcode Global: FRA B63Y.7PD
Plus Code: 9C2XRJ7F+JW
Entry Name: 52, 52a and 52b, Richmond Road
Listing Date: 6 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433289
Location: Worthing, West Sussex, BN11
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Worthing
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Worthing Saint Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
No 52, 52A and 52B
TQ 1402 NE
House. 1843, by Charles Hide (1810-1876) architect and town surveyor of Worthing. Whitewashed stone rubble, cement render and pebbledash, old tiled roofs. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys with attics. Entrance front has 2 4-centred windows at west, one 3 light mullioned and transomed battlemented bay window at east. 2 first floor 2 light casements, one central 2 light casement, one gabled 2 light casement. Central 4-centred arched door with above jettied first floor part timber part painted plaster to imitate studwork bay projection with barge boarded gable. Prominent external chimney breast, corbelled out at first floor 2 twisted stacks. West returned gable has ground floor rectangular bay window, first floor jettied upper gable with painted stud work and elaborate barge boarded gable. Roof hipped at east with battlemented parapet and twisted stacks. 2 storeys wing at canted angle at east has ground floor cross window, first floor 3-light casement, jettied east gable, barge boards. Garden front (north) has returned gable wing at west, large ground floor bay windows. Pebble dashed, slate roofed, 2 storey service wing at rear (No 52A).
INTERIOR: 'L' plan ground floor hall with dog-leg staircase with Gothic newels and classical iron balusters. Walls scored for stucco lining, now painted. Doorcases with rusticated surrounds, plaster labels and heads, 3 panel doors with 2 upper 4-centred arches and lower quatrefoil panel tracery. Front door same details with 2 leaded side-lights. Panelled and ribbed ground floor and first floor landing ceiling. Labelled and rusticated opening on half landing. 2 reception rooms of hall with Gothic plaster ceilings, with frieze and cornices, panelled window embrasures. Fireplaces missing throughout. Details in service wing suggest build of same date as house (c1840). An ambitious villa antedating the main development of Worthing, remarkably in a Tudor-Gothic style, picturesquely contrasting with the neighbouring neoclassical villas. Called Gothic Lodge and Tudor Court at various periods. See H Smail Worthing Map Story (1949) p 129 and Edward Snewin and H Smail Glimpses of Old Worthing (1945) p 87; Builder XXXIV, 1876, p 645.
Listing NGR: TQ1456502872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings