This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1533 / 51°9'12"N
Longitude: 0.3688 / 0°22'7"E
OS Eastings: 565759
OS Northings: 142010
OS Grid: TQ657420
Mapcode National: GBR NR1.Q1B
Mapcode Global: VHJMX.B8TP
Entry Name: Maycots
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Last Amended: 7 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 433089
Location: Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Brenchley
Built-Up Area: Brenchley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Matfield St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
In the entries for the following serial numbers ---
14/156, 14/157, 14/158, 14/159, 14/160, 14/161, 14/162, 14/163, 14/164, 14/165
14/166, 14/167, 14/168, 14/169, 14/170, 14/171, 14/172, 14/173, 14/174, 14/175
14/176, 14/177, 14/178, 14/179, in the parish of Brenchley.
The address shall be amended to read---
"THE GREEN, Matfield" in place of "MATFIELD GREEN"
TQ 64 SE BRENCHLEY MATFIELD GREEN
House. Circa late C16, alterations and additions of 1910 to the designs of
Hubert Berians of Goudhurst for Mrs Fyler, the owner. Framed construction on
a sandstone rubble plinth, the ground floor underbuilt in brick, the first
floor tile-hung; peg-tile roofs; brick stacks.
Plan: The house faces east. The main block is a 3 room lobby entrance plan,
the 2 principal left hand (south) rooms heated from back-to-back fireplaces in
an axial stack. The right hand room was originally an unheated service room.
Slightly later rear wing at right angles, possibly reduced in length. In
circa 1910 the interior of the main block was refurbished with an open well
stair cut into the centre room. The main block was extended at the south end
and a rear left one room plan wing was added, probably as a dining room,
heated from an end stack. The 2 rear wings are linked by a 2 storey lean-to
and a flat-roofed C20 addition fills in the north west corner of the site.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Main block roof hipped at ends, axial stack
with a staggered triple shaft; 1910 stack at right (north) end. Symmetrical
4-window front, the left hand window in the 1910 addition at the left end,
which is in a style to match the earlier. 1910 2-storey half-timbered gabled
porch, the ground floor returns with turned balusters, the gable projecting on
brackets. The 1910 plank and cover strip front door is in a canted end bay,
flanked by windows. Set of 1910 iron-framed casements with good Arts and
Crafts style window furniture. 3-light windows flank the porch on both floors
with 2-light outer first floor windows, 3-light first floor window in the
porch. 2 gabled dormers with 2-light casements. The 1910 left (south) return
has 2 ground floor bay windows, the other windows match those on the front.
Interior: Exposed carpentry with scroll stops to the main beams and exposed
joists. The rear wing has exposed ceiling beams of a plainer character. Both
back-to-back fireplaces have been re-lined in 1910 with the lintels blocked
in. Edwardian stair with turned balustrs. The right hand (north) room has a
trimmer for an earlier stair. The wall framing survives on the first floor
with jowls to the wall posts. Set of C18 2-panel doors with fielded panels on
the first floor. Sooted timbers round the stack on the first floor indicate a
former smoke bay.
Roof: Clasped purlin and queen strut arrangement.
Listing NGR: TQ6575942010
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings