History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Pier (Including the Pierfoot Pavilion and the Pierhead Pavilion)

A Grade II Listed Building in Worthing, West Sussex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8088 / 50°48'31"N

Longitude: -0.3695 / 0°22'10"W

OS Eastings: 514980

OS Northings: 102293

OS Grid: TQ149022

Mapcode National: GBR HMP.9D5

Mapcode Global: FRA B63Y.PX4

Entry Name: The Pier (Including the Pierfoot Pavilion and the Pierhead Pavilion)

Listing Date: 30 July 1975

Last Amended: 14 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263242

English Heritage Legacy ID: 432812

Location: Worthing, West Sussex, BN11

County: West Sussex

District: Worthing

Town: Worthing

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Worthing

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Worthing Holy Trinity with Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Broadwater

Listing Text

In the entry for
MARINE PARADE
The Pier
TQ 1402 SE 4/270
TQ 1502 SW 6/270

The address shall be amended to read
MARINE PARADE
TQ 1402 SE 4/270 The Pier (including
the Pierfoot Pavilion
TQ 1502 SW 6/270 and the Pierhead
Pavilion)
The description should be amended to read

Originally 1860-62. Designed by Robert Rawlinson for J Cliff of Bradford. 960 ft
long. The neck was widened from 15 ft to 30 ft in 1887-9 and the pierhead enlarged
to 105 ft. Pier consists of 24 spans of longitudinal lattice girders supported
by cast iron trestles and carrying timber joists for the wooden decking. 'Shoreward
or Pierfoot Pavilion 1926. Stucco to walls, metal clad roofs. Consists of a
polygonal hall with an oval vestibule on the shoreside, and two square side
pavilions joined to it by concave quadrant pilastrades. The vestibule is of 5
bays externally, separated by engaged Corinthian columns over which the entablature
breaks. Festooned frieze. Central three bays have glazed double doors with mask
keystones. Here the domed roof has 3 glazed oculus dormers, while the domical
main roof has bullseye dormers. Delicate iron cresting in the manner of a
balustrade. The main roof has a low clerestory with lattice glazing. A plainer
cornice carries round the hall. The lower side pavilions have strongly swept
mansard roofs with round headed dormers, plain entablatures over Doric pilasters.
The pier entrances, in the quadrants, are flanked by engaged Corinthian columns.
The detail , a subtle and festive neo-brec, is carried through into the two domed
interiors. The Pierhead Pavilion was designed in 1935 by the Borough Architect.
It is a handsome and largely unaltered example of the Nautical Style. The shape
is a rectangle with rounded ends, with terraces wrapped around a small concert
hall. Frame construction clad in metal faced Plymax, using almost continuous
glazing of the Crittall type. Asphalt terraces and roofing. Four bay hall with
simple proscenium arch surmounted by radiating design. From the outside the main
effect is strongly horizontal, created by the projecting decks and cornices. Good
mahogany doors which retain some frosted glass panels with wave patterns. Midway
Amusement Arcade, 1959, not of special interest on current criteria .

------------------------------------
1. MARINE PARADE
5406
The Pier
TQ 1402 SE 4/270
TQ 1502 SW 6/270 30.7.75
II
2.
Originally 1860-62. maimed by Robert Rawlinson for J Cliff of Bradford. 960 ft
long. The neck was widened from 15 ft to 30 ft in 1887-9 and the pierhead enlarged
to l05 ft. Pier consists of 24 spans of longitudinal lattice girders supported
by cast iron trestles end carrying timber joists for the wooden decking. Present
buildings (shoreward pavilion, 1926; midway amusement arcade, 1959; and pierhead
pavilion, 1935) not of listable interest on current criteria. Owned by local
authority.

In the descriptive noted for the above entry, the sentence from 'Present buildings ...
current criteria.' (lines 4-6) should be amended to read:

'Present buildings are C20 and not of special interest on current criteria.'


------------------------------------------------------------------


MARINE PARADE
1.
5406
The Pier
TQ 1402 SE 4/270
TQ 1502 SW 6/270 30.7.75.
II
2.
originally 1860-62. Designed by Robert Rawlinson for J Cliff of Bradford. 960 ft
long. The neck was widened from 15 ft to 30 ft in 1887-9 and the pierhead enlarged
to 105 ft. Pier consists of 24 spans of longitudinal lattice girders supported
by cast iron trestles and carrying timber joists for the wooden decking. Present
buildings (shoreward pavilion, 1926; midway amusement arcade, 1959; and pierhead
pavilion, 1935) not of listable interest on current criteria. Owned by local
authority.


Listing NGR: TQ1498002293

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.