This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1509 / 51°9'3"N
Longitude: 0.3989 / 0°23'55"E
OS Eastings: 567870
OS Northings: 141806
OS Grid: TQ678418
Mapcode National: GBR NR2.ZL2
Mapcode Global: VHJMX.VBQK
Entry Name: The Rose and Crown Public House
Listing Date: 20 October 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 432304
Location: Brenchley, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN12
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Brenchley
Built-Up Area: Brenchley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Brenchley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 67 41 BRENCHLEY HIGH STREET, BRENCHLEY
15/135 The Rose and Crown Public
Public house. C17 origins, alterations of the early C18 and early C19.
Framed construction, the front elevation underbuilt in brick to the ground
floor, tile-hung above and painted white; peg-tile roof; brick stacks.
Plan: The pub adjoins the Bournes shop range (q.v.) and faces north, fronting
the High Street. L-plan. The main range was 3-rooms wide (now 2), the 2
right hand (west) rooms formerly heated from back-to-back fireplaces in an
axial stack with a lobby entrance. The left hand room is probably a
rebuilding or addition and was originally unheated. Rear right wing heated
from an end stack. Rear service block under a 2-span roof. The absence of
evidence for infill on the first floor rear wall framing suggests that the
building always had a 2-storey rear service block of some kind. The roof
construction suggests that the main range attic was designed to be used for
storage, perhaps with a loft door at the right end. In the circa early C18
the house was re-windowed. A winder stair to the rear probably dates from
this phase. Ground floor bay windows were added in the early C19. The
partition between the 2 left hand rooms has been removed.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 4-window front, the roof half-
hipped at the right end; left end stack at the junction with the Bournes shop
range, axial stack to right of centre. C20 front door to the lobby entrance
with an C18 or early C19 gabled porch hood. 3 early C19 canted ground floor
bay windows, 2 to the left of the porch, one to the right, the 2 left hand
windows converted to doors in the centre, the right hand window intact with a
16-pane sash in the centre and 8-pane outer sashes; early C19 12-pane sash to
ground floor right. The first floor windows are early C18 2- and 3-light
casements the mullions bead-moulded on the inner face, with fine original
window furniture typical of and peculiar to the parish and leaded panes
including some original glazing. 2 similarly-glazed hipped roof attic
dormers. The right return also has some C18 windows with leaded panes, some
with quadrant catches. C19 panelled door into the wing.
Interior: The 2 left hand ground floor rooms have exposed ceiling beams. The
chamfered sole plate of the centre room does not extend into the left hand
room. The right hand ground floor room and the wing have some re-used ceiling
beams and wall-framing timbers. The main block frame preserves wall posts
with jowled heads.
Roof: Above the 2 right hand rooms the tie beam and clasped purlin roof has
remarkably steeply-cambered collars, shaped like an inverted U. One of the
collars has a rough off-centre hole in it that appears to be in line with a
former timber wheel, fixed partly in the axial stack and possibly used as a
lifting mechanism for goods pulled in through a first floor opening.
The exterior of this building is very important to the character of Brenchley;
interesting interior features.
Listing NGR: TQ6787041807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings