This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9311 / 52°55'51"N
Longitude: -1.2433 / 1°14'36"W
OS Eastings: 450958
OS Northings: 337343
OS Grid: SK509373
Mapcode National: GBR L0Y.QF
Mapcode Global: WHDGX.WL3B
Entry Name: The Manor House and Adjoining Terrace
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429357
Location: Broxtowe, Nottinghamshire, NG9
Electoral Ward/Division: Bramcote
Built-Up Area: Beeston (Broxtowe)
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bramcote
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
BEESTON AND STAPLEFORD
1568/5/28 MANOR COURT
No.1 THE MANOR HOUSE AND
Manor house. 1625. C20 alterations and additions. Incorporates part of C16 manor house. Brick and timber framing. Plain tile roofs. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered brick and rubble plinths. Moulded brick first floor and eaves bands. Shouldered coped gables. Single side wall and single gable stacks. 2 storeys
plus basement and attics. 2 x 2 bays. L-plan. Windows are mainly C20 metal framed leaded mullioned casements in chamfered reveals. Attic windows have moulded hoods.
South front has buttressed wing to right. In return angle, chamfered doorcase with elliptical head flanked by single casements. Above, to left, 2 mullioned casements. To right, 2 smaller square casements. Above again to left, gabled dormer with casement. Wing to right has 2 smaller casements.
West gable has a single casement on each floor. East front has 4 blank round headed openings with, to left, chamfered doorway with elliptical head. To its right, 3 casements. Above, small square casement and to its right, 4 casements. To right again, C20 ashlar doorcase. Above again, 3 casements. Above again, 2 dormers each with a casement.
North side has to left parapeted mid C20 addition with 2 casements. To its right, 2 casements of different sizes. Above, 2 off-centre casements flanked by single square casements. North east corner has jowled bay post, arch brace, cambered tie beam and stud wall.
INTERIOR. Basement has chamfered fireplace bressummer and stone dogleg stair. Timber upper stages rebuilt 1950 and 1980. South wing has room with re-sited full height C17 panelling with inlaid Harley and Fitzwilliam Arms. Tudor arched ashlar fireplace and moulded span beam. Bedroom above has similar fireplace. West wing has 4 rooms with Tudor arched corner fireplaces and chamfered span beams, 2 with lambs tongue stops. C17 plank door and C18 2 panel door. Principal rafter roofs, C17, with collars and double purlins, largely re-used timber. Outside, to south, adjoining terrace, dressed stone and brick, with half-round C20 steps. Notable late C17 scrolled wrought iron railing with wavy plan.
Sources: RCHM Report 1976. Fellows, G. Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol. XXI, 1917.
Listing NGR: SK5095837343
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings