This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1858 / 51°11'8"N
Longitude: 1.2756 / 1°16'32"E
OS Eastings: 629002
OS Northings: 148053
OS Grid: TR290480
Mapcode National: GBR W0T.R8T
Mapcode Global: VHLH4.2G69
Entry Name: Stable Court Waldershare Park the Mews, Stable Court
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1263887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 429275
Location: Shepherdswell with Coldred, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: Shepherdswell with Coldred
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 24 NE
6/126 Stable Court,
11.10.63 (Nos.1-7, The Mews)
Stable courtyard, now flats. 1705-1712, for Sir Henry Furnese, attributed
William Talman, altered 1913 by Sir Reginald Blomfield, and late C20. Red
brick and slate roof. Originally a complete courtyard, now only 2 sides
survive, the third, to north, with a reset carriage gateway. Entrance
front: 2 storeys with brick pedimented pavilions at left and at right
with central projection with triple keyed carriage arch on imposts, rendered
cornice to open pediment, with an open arcaded and leaded ogee-domed cupola.
Clock face and inscription in central pediment: DISCE VIVERE. Twelve
glazing bar sashes on first floor, and 3 on pavilion ground floor to right
with sunk panels between the 2 storeys, 2 with central boarded door to left,
with round headed glazing bar sash in re-entrant to main range. Four
carriage arches, now infilled with panelled doors and glazing bar sashes,
with glazed segments. Gauged surrounds with triple keyed heads with raised
voussoirs. Range fronting main house of 11 bays, the windows set in recessed
panels. Interior the left projecting wing with further, infilled, double
height carriage entries with brick pilasters, keyed gauged arch and frieze.
The end walls of both pavilions show signs of rebuilding, probably after
1913. Third side of courtyard closed with wall, about 8 feet high, with
offset buttresses and piers with ball finials, the wall swept to open
pediment on pilaster-quoins, with keyed gauged arch and simple double wrought
iron gates, with pedestrian gate to right.
Listing NGR: TR2916748213
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings