History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Engine Houses, Power Station and Pithead Gear at Haig Colliery

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitehaven, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5431 / 54°32'35"N

Longitude: -3.5978 / 3°35'52"W

OS Eastings: 296728

OS Northings: 517597

OS Grid: NX967175

Mapcode National: GBR 3H9X.W6

Mapcode Global: WH5Z7.P2YJ

Entry Name: Engine Houses, Power Station and Pithead Gear at Haig Colliery

Listing Date: 22 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1263938

English Heritage Legacy ID: 429196

Location: Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland

Town: Copeland

Civil Parish: Whitehaven

Built-Up Area: Whitehaven

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kells St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Whitehaven

Listing Text

SOLWAY ROAD
1.
1814
NX9617NE
2/50 Engine houses, power
station and pithead
gear at Haig Colliery
II
2.
Engine houses, power station, and pithead gear. Dates back to 1917; later additions
and alterations. Main building brick with mineral-felted roofs; pithead gear, steel.
Originally 'H' shaped plan, central power station was extended to rear. Single tall
storey, each engine house (the cross-wings) is 6 bays. The south engine house entrance
is up a flight of steps; wooden double doors with semicircular fanlight, 5 tall semi-
circular windows to left. 3 similar windows, with oculus above, in east return. North
engine house is mirror image. 6-bay power station has 6 similar windows. Decorative
brick corbel table and corner pilasters. Large louvred vents to roof ridges. Machinery
is still intact, all by BEVER DORLING & CO LTD, BRADFORD: two 21" bore engines (installed
1917) in the north engine house, two 42" bore engines (installed 1933) in the south
engine house. The pithead gear probably dates back to 1917 although component parts
have been renewed over the years.


Listing NGR: NX9672817597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.