History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stoke Dry House the Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Stoke Dry, Rutland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5617 / 52°33'42"N

Longitude: -0.7395 / 0°44'22"W

OS Eastings: 485543

OS Northings: 296735

OS Grid: SP855967

Mapcode National: GBR CSX.CV8

Mapcode Global: WHFL1.MV2Z

Entry Name: Stoke Dry House the Old Rectory

Listing Date: 6 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1264242

English Heritage Legacy ID: 428265

Location: Stoke Dry, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Stoke Dry

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Stoke Dry St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Uppingham

Listing Text

STOKE DRY
SP 89 NE
4/144
Stoke Dry House
and The Old
Rectory.
II
GV

Former rectory, now 2 houses. 1841, by Bryan Browning, for the Reverend Charles
Henry Swann, the SW block probably an extension of c.1855. Coursed ironstone
rubble with pale limestone dressings; Collyweston slate roofs with coped gables
and ashlar chimneys. Tall imposing block at SW end with bold features and Tudor
hoodmoulds over openings; lower wing to NE in more reticent Tudor style. 2
storeys. Entrance front has tall block projecting to right. This has centre
slightly advanced, with steep gable, narrow first floor sash, and gabled porch
projection below. Porch has 4-centred arches to entrance and half-glazed inner
double doors, the doors with blind tracery to lower panels. Above entrance arch
and first floor sash are moulded stone lozenges in square surrounds. To left of
centre is a high staircase window with pair of 4-centred arched lights containing
marginally glazed sashes. To right of centre is a lateral chimney with pair of
octagonal shafts. NE wing, to left, has 2 gabled bays and left bay with
4-centred carriage arch. Each bay steps forwards from left to right. Irregular
windows with ovolo-moulded stone mullions. Tall narrow doorway in third bay with
4-centred arch, the door with Gothick panels and glazing bars. Outbuildings
attached to left. Rear also irregular with gables and dormer gables, one shaped.


Listing NGR: SP8554396735

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.