This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5142 / 51°30'50"N
Longitude: -0.1135 / 0°6'48"W
OS Eastings: 531003
OS Northings: 181157
OS Grid: TQ310811
Mapcode National: GBR LC.PD
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.Z6CL
Entry Name: Royal Courts of Justice the Law Courts (The Royal Courts of Justice)
Listing Date: 5 February 1970
Last Amended: 10 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 428301
Location: Westminster, Greater London Authority, WC2A
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary le Strand with St Clement Danes
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3081 SE and 3181 SW
CITY OF WESTMINSTER
The Law Courts (The Royal Courts of Justice)
Law Courts. 1866 competition, won by G E Street finally in 1868, work only begun, to modified design, in 1874 when Philip Webb was Street's chief assistant and completed 1882 under final supervision of Street's son A E Street and Arthur Blomfield. Portland stone for principal Strand and west elevations, red brick back with lavish stone dressings, banding and chequerwork to east and north elevations, slate roofs. Serious, consistent and "rational" application of C13 English Gothic style, fulfilling a highly demanding brief for a monumental programme and developing a varied, but carefully balanced, composition to be seen in perspective with highly inventive detailing, despite the vast scale and a certain lack of coherence in consequence. Mainly 3 storeys. Controlled asymmetry with 6-bay east wing terminating just before end in lofty clock tower and a 15-bay,virtually symmetrical composition about the major axis of the main entrance and Salle des Pas Perdus of the Great Hall. The hall gable end and great window are set back behind portal archway recessed in turn between polygonal towers with slated spires. Double or triplet-shafted windows in link-ranges and in gabled bays with tourelles-bartizans. Triple arched gateway into east court acts as link to east wing.
The Great Hall gable contains a rose and is flanked by corner turrets with lucarne and gallet stone spires. The Great Hall ridge is crowned by a fleche. The east and north brick and stone elevations have more of the lively inventiveness and love of pattern of Street's earlier, smaller scale works. The lofty brick and stone north east tower was built while Philip Webb was Street's principal assistant. The major internal feature is the vast Salle des Pas Perdus, rib-vaulted and shafted with blind arcading, with rich stiff leaf carving to doorways and diapering; lancets or grouped lancets with geometrical tracery; spiral staircases lead off with courtrooms ranged on either side and to the north. Fine quality of execution throughout despite the size of the building. In the Hall a very dignified seated statue commemorating Street, by H H Armstead, was set up in 1886.
Victorian Architecture; R Dixon and S Muthesius.
London Volume I; N Pevsner.
Listing NGR: TQ3100381157
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings