This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0284 / 53°1'42"N
Longitude: -1.1377 / 1°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 457928
OS Northings: 348246
OS Grid: SK579482
Mapcode National: GBR 8GT.168
Mapcode Global: WHDGL.H4GQ
Entry Name: Bestwood Pumping Station
Listing Date: 5 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1265233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 425220
Location: Bestwood St. Albans, Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG5
Civil Parish: Bestwood St. Albans
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bestwood Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 54 NE
BESTWOOD ST ALBANS
Bestwood Pumping Station
Water pumping station, disused. 1871-74. By Thomas Hawksley, engineer to Nottingham Waterworks Company. Polychromatic brick and sandstone with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof. Rectangular plan with reaer lateral boiler house, coal store and central integral chimney. Venetian Gothic Revival style. 2 storeys and basement; 8 bays x 5 bays. Battered plinth, linked hood moulds, moulded cornice and gutter, ornate iron roof railings and finials; pilasters to recessed flat-headed panels with corbel heads. Coped east gable has open porch with balustraded steps and round-arched opening to similar doorway with overlight, with flanking lancets; above round-arched window with 2-light windows each side. Sides have 4-light pointed windows each with oculus above, and 3 louvred dormer windows with 1 at each end. Square sectioned chimney encased by boiler house has moulded impost bands and cornice, of 2 stages each with 3 staggered stair lights separated by battered section and pyramidal cap on top. Boiler house has to west 3 pointed arch recesses with double doors, flanked by single-light windows, and 4 bosses above, and at each end a round guard stone. North and south sides have 3-bay open arcades with round piers and foliate capitals, and 2 round bosses above. East ends have single 2- and 1-light window and boss above. INTERIOR stuccoed with stencil frieze, cast-iron entablature with 4 cast-iron tapered columns with water holding bases and traceried capitals, carrying pivoting engine beam with Gothic ornament, and heavy timber Queen post roof with double stone corbels and lifting eyes. Boiler house has 4 round iron columns and an iron trussed roof. Historical note: Formerly contained a pair of Joseph Witham & Sons rotative beam engines, their last, scrapped in 1968. Forms a good group with the decorative cooling pond in front, lamps and entrance lodge and staff cottages (qqv). One of three enriched pumping stations built for Nottingham Waterworks Co, and then the Corporation after it took the company over, including Papplewick (qv), and Basford, demolished. Hawksley was the most pre-eminent waterworks engineer of his day, and this is his most accomplished piece of architecture, successfully assimilating the engine house, coal store, boiler house and chimney with polychromatic effects, in a picturesque landscape.
Listing NGR: SK5792848246
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings