History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Court Farmhouse court Farmhouse Flat

A Grade II Listed Building in Fritwell, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9609 / 51°57'39"N

Longitude: -1.2378 / 1°14'16"W

OS Eastings: 452465

OS Northings: 229432

OS Grid: SP524294

Mapcode National: GBR 8WM.5VG

Mapcode Global: VHCWP.HZG4

Entry Name: Court Farmhouse court Farmhouse Flat

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Last Amended: 26 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266400

English Heritage Legacy ID: 421623

Location: Fritwell, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Fritwell

Built-Up Area: Fritwell

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Fritwell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Souldern

Listing Text

FRITWELL NORTH STREET
SP52NW (South side)
3/39 Court Farmhouse and Court
26/11/51 Farmhouse Flat
(Formerly listed as Court
Farmhouse and farm building
abutting house)
GV II

Farmhouse. Early/mid C17, re-modelled and extended c.1800. Limestone rubble,
partly squared and coursed, with ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate roof with brick
stacks, T-plan. 2 storeys plus attic, and one storey plus attic. Road front has
the end of the main range projecting on the left of the 2-window wing, both
parts with shallow-pitched roofs and boxed eaves. The wing has 16-pane sashes
and projecting keyblocks; the hipped-roofed projection has 2 similar but blind
first-floor windows, plus a 2-light stone-mullioned window with label at ground
floor, and its right return wall contains the entrance (now with the 6-panel
double doors in a C20 porch) below a further sash window. The rear of the wing
is in 2 sections, with renewed sashes plus a small apsidal C19 conservatory. The
left side of the main range is in several builds with a central gable, and has 2
sashes plus some earlier windows. A lower range extending from the rear of the
main range, now partly a flat, has 2 ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows with
labels: one of 3 lights; the other of 2. Interior: Drawing room has heavy
plaster cornices and an open fireplace with a massive chamfered cambered
bressumer; 2-storey stair hall of c.1800 has a sweeping stair, 6-panel doors
(one with an ornamental overlight) and has a round-headed display niche with
serpentine shelves; another earlier alcove has a shell head, serpentine shelves
and carved scroll brackets; C17 winder stairs rise to attics; rear wing has a
heavy chamfered doorframe, a stop-chamfered bean, and a large open fireplace
with stop-chamfered bressumer and bread oven.
(VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol VI, p136)


Listing NGR: SP5246529432

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.