History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jackie's Tea Rooms the Antiquary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Burford, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8084 / 51°48'30"N

Longitude: -1.6367 / 1°38'11"W

OS Eastings: 425147

OS Northings: 212262

OS Grid: SP251122

Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.F25

Mapcode Global: VHBZS.LT40

Entry Name: Jackie's Tea Rooms the Antiquary

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 1 March 1990

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1266884

English Heritage Legacy ID: 420364

Location: Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Burford

Built-Up Area: Burford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Burford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Burford

Listing Text

BURFORD AND UPTON HIGH STREET
AND SIGNET (West Side)
SP2512 (Enlargement) No 70 (The Antiquary)
7/132 and No 68 (Jackie's
12.9.55 Tea Rooms)
(Previously listed as
House and Shop premises
next but two on the South
of New College)

GV II*


House, partly a shop. c.1700-20 front breaking forward, with C15/early C16
origins. Freestone front on chamfered plinth, Cotswold stone roof with
end chimnies, the right-hand one stunted ashlar. Usual L-plan, front in
local Baroque style. 2 storeys and attics, right-hand part on cellar;
central gabled dormer, heavy cornice and parapet, 6 windows on 1st floor,
the left-hand treble, right-hand paired, glazing-bar sashes in moulded
architraves and with moulded keys, ground floor right-hand also paired.
Mid-late C19 projecting shop-front with shallow arch glazing in 4:1 bays
and recessed entrance with carved bracket supporting fascia to right;
ashlar dwarf wall with heavy chamfered plinth and cellar grate.
Pedimented doorcase with architrave and pulvinated frieze to right of
centre. Lead rain-water head and pipe to each side and 1st floor light to
each side. Interior: left-hand shop has fireplace with inglenook set
well back from front, evidence of blocked fireplace nearer front. The
house has been altered too. Retains a display cupboard in room to right
on ground floor, above on first floor is a stone fireplace with pulvinated
frieze interrupted by panelled key, shelf over. In rear extension is a
stone fireplace, perhaps contemporary, with eared architrave and frieze
with side pilasters and garland and new shelf - said to come from Priory
so perhaps mid C17 (once in ground floor left hand front room). Attic
retains an arch-braced C15 or early C16 truss partly exposed, possibly for
2-bay 1st floor hall. Plan: former central alley blocked. Long 2-
Storey-and-attic 3-bay gabled wing to rear with further 3-storey wing of 3
windows, hollow chamfer mullions in part (some replicas) altered and
extended to East, gable end wall to North timber-framed at rear with stair
timber-framed at rear with stair lights. The roof line is at different angle on South chimney.


Listing NGR: SP2514712262

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.