This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.242 / 53°14'31"N
Longitude: -1.1273 / 1°7'38"W
OS Eastings: 458339
OS Northings: 372024
OS Grid: SK583720
Mapcode National: GBR NZKY.RJ
Mapcode Global: WHDFF.NRDY
Plus Code: 9C5W6VRF+R3
Entry Name: Monument to Lord George Bentinck, 30 Metres North of Bentinck Lodge
Listing Date: 12 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1267059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 419890
Location: Norton and Cuckney, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG20
Civil Parish: Norton and Cuckney
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Norton Cuckney
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK 57 SE NORTON CARBURTON ROAD
8/127 Monument to Lord
30 metres north of
Monument, walls, troughs and step. 1912. Ashlar and lead.
Square ashlar column, set in a semi-circular paved surround
marked with regular striae, coped and set on a plinth with lead
tablet mounted onto the front, decorated on the crown with a
sculptured head and on the apron with a lion's head which feeds
water to the trough below. The insignia on the tablet reads "To
the memory of Lord George Bentinck M.P. for Kings Lynn, third son
of the fourth Duke of Portland who died suddenly near this spot
on the 21st September 1848 in his 47th year. This monument is
raised by his kinsman William Arthur Sixth Duke of Portland K.G.
A.D. 1912 'Born a natural leader of the people he was equal to
the post free from prejudices his large mind sympathised with all
classes of the realm his courage and constancy were never
surpassed by man he valued life only as a means of fulfilling
duty'. Disraeli." Above the lead tablet is an ashlar shield
with coat of arms. On either side of the column are raised
ashlar plaques inscribed "truth" on the left and "courage" on the
right. The column is topped with a decorated ashlar urn.
Flanking the base are a single stone trough to the left and a
single stone step to the right. Either side is a single curved
ashlar wall, topped where they terminate in single sections of
shaped ashlar coping.
Listing NGR: SK5833972024
Other nearby listed buildings