History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burnley Lane Baptist Church Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Burnley, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7974 / 53°47'50"N

Longitude: -2.2398 / 2°14'23"W

OS Eastings: 384298

OS Northings: 433476

OS Grid: SD842334

Mapcode National: GBR DSSJ.WH

Mapcode Global: WHB7X.KTM7

Plus Code: 9C5VQQW6+W3

Entry Name: Burnley Lane Baptist Church Hall

Listing Date: 22 September 1978

Last Amended: 19 November 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1270969

English Heritage Legacy ID: 467042

Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB10

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley

Town: Burnley

Electoral Ward/Division: Daneshouse with Stoneyholme

Built-Up Area: Burnley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Burnley St Andrew with St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Burnley

Listing Text


BURNLEY

SD8433SW COLNE ROAD
906-1/10/43 (West side)
22/09/78 Burnley Lane Baptist Church Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
COLNE ROAD
Ebenezer Sunday School)

GV II

Baptist Sunday School, now church hall. Dated 1872 in
pediment; altered internally following recent fire damage.
Coursed rock-faced sandstone rubble with freestone dressings,
slate roof. Rectangular plan, gable to road.
2 storeys, 1:2:1 windows in 3 bays, symmetrical; with banded
corner pilasters, a pedimental gable, and the openings of each
bay set in a full-height recess: the centre has coupled
round-headed doorways at ground floor with chamfered
surrounds, carved spandrels and a cornice on brackets (the
left doorway blocked and the other with an altered door), and
coupled round-headed windows above, with hollow spandrels,
large keystones and a similar cornice; and the outer bays have
rectangular windows at ground floor and round-headed windows
above, with keystones and hollow spandrels. The pediment
contains a large former clock-face (lacking the hands) with
faded painted Roman numerals and a circular stone surround
with similarly faded lettering: "EBENEZER SCHOOLS / AD 1872".
7-window side walls with square-headed windows at ground floor
and round-headed above.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Forms group with Burnley Lane Baptist Church and Institute to
the north (qv), to which it is now linked.

Listing NGR: SD8429833476

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.