This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9493 / 52°56'57"N
Longitude: -1.1527 / 1°9'9"W
OS Eastings: 457028
OS Northings: 339435
OS Grid: SK570394
Mapcode National: GBR LNQ.KX
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.84CB
Entry Name: Trip to Jerusalem Public House
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271192
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455804
Location: Nottingham, NG1
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Peter with St James
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK5739SW CASTLE ROAD
646-1/23/140 (West side (off))
11/08/52 Trip to Jerusalem Public House
Public house. Early C17, with C18 and C19 additions. Partly
timber-framed with brick nogging, and painted brick. Rear
rooms in rock-hewn caves under the Castle Rock. Plain tile
roofs with single ridge and side wall stacks. Rendered plinth.
Central range, endwise to the street, with additions to left
and right, forming a Z plan.
EXTERIOR: central range has at the front a late C17 block, 2
storeys plus attics, with dentillated eaves and a shouldered
coped gable. Yorkshire sash to ground floor, blank first
floor, 3-light casement in gable. Right return, single bay,
has a 6-panel door and 12-pane sashes. To right, a lower
block, early C17, box framed, 2 storeys plus attics, 3 bays.
To left, a 3-light casement. Above, a Yorkshire sash and a
renewed casement, and above again, a raking dormer. Rear has
similar casements. In the rear courtyard, a painted brick
projection from the cliff face, with slate roof, corner stack
and 3-light casement. To its left, a painted brick wall flush
with the cliff face with a door under a canopy and a 3-light
To right, a single storey projection, early C19, with 6-panel
door, flanked to left by a tripartite sash. Above and behind,
a 2-light casement set in the cliff face.
To left of the centre, late C18 addition, 2 storeys. Irregular
fenestration, with a segment-arched passageway to right, and a
square glazing bar window above.
INTERIOR has exposed span beams, one carried on a C19
cast-iron column. At the rear, several rock-hewn rooms at
various levels, one with a conical roof. These may have been
used for brewing.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 236; Reprint from The Mercian Geologist, Vol. 13, Sept.
1992: Waltham AC: The sandstone caves of Nottingham:
Nottingham: 1992-: 7).
Listing NGR: SK5703139440
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings