This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8582 / 51°51'29"N
Longitude: -2.2086 / 2°12'30"W
OS Eastings: 385731
OS Northings: 217759
OS Grid: SO857177
Mapcode National: GBR 1L7.DFK
Mapcode Global: VH94C.NKSB
Entry Name: Barnwood Court
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472078
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL4
Electoral Ward/Division: Barnwood
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Barnwood St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO81NE BARNWOOD AVENUE, Barnwood
844-1/4/439 (East side)
10/01/55 Nos.29 AND 29A
Manor house, later vicarage, now house divided into two
dwellings. c1600. Substantial alterations and additions c1800
for Robert Morris. Altered internally by division into two
dwellings c1982. Stone rubble with dressed stone details, the
later additions of brick and most of the exterior stuccoed or
rough-cast; gabled and hipped slate roofs; C17 stone stack.
Parallel adjoining ranges with end-gabled wing projecting on
the north side at the east end: the entrance front of c1800
facing south masks a late C16 cross wing at the west end of
the south range.
EXTERIOR: two storeys and attics. Symmetrical entrance front,
c1800, of five bays with gable-end to right and hipped end to
left; an offset dressed stone, chamfered plinth; stuccoed wall
face above scribed with false ashlar joints; stone quoins at
both ends; central entrance doorway approached by a splayed
flight of five stone steps to threshold, the bottom step
flanked by stone urns on pedestals, semicircular arched
doorway framed by stone doorcase of three-quarter columns with
feather capitals, dosserets, and an open pediment enclosing
fanlight with radiating glazing bars. Two sashes to each side
of doorway and five sashes on first floor, all with glazing
bars (3x4 panes) in openings with projecting stone sills.
The west side of c1600 of rubble under rough-cast render; two
large end gables to the roofs of the parallel ranges, the
left-hand gable, reformed c1800, has projecting eaves, the
right-hand gable coped in stone with a carved stone finial on
the apex; a projecting chimney-stack of rubble with quoined
angles against the left-hand gable-end with weathered offsets
at upper level and moulded string course at the base of the
ashlar flue shaft; to left of stack on the ground floor a
plain sash in opening of c1800; above, in the gable, a blocked
two-light stone mullioned window; to right of stack on ground
and first floors irregular fenestration of sashes and
casements in the gable above a three-light stone mullioned
window with casements. On the north side to left a large cross
gable of c1600 and to right the projecting wing with coped end
gable; to left two cross mullion and transom windows on each
floor with leadlight casements and in the gable a two-light
stone mullioned window with leadlight casements.
The east side has a projecting single storey bow to the end of
the south range with French doors to terrace and single storey
conservatory to left; on the first floor late C19 plain horned
INTERIOR: in wall on right-hand side of central entrance hall
and in same wall above on first floor (originally the east
wall of the c1600 cross wing) the remains of blocked windows
with hoodmoulds; room to left has details of C1800 with richly
moulded plaster cornice, fireplace lined with Delft tiles
framed by chimney-piece with moulded and eared frame; room to
left with panelled window jambs and shutters; C19 staircase;
in the attic rooms reused panelling of c1600.
HISTORY: built on the site of a medieval grange which belonged
to the former Benedictine Abbey of St Peter, Gloucester, and
subsequently the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester Cathedral;
probably incorporating some remains of stone dwarf walls and
buttresses thought to have supported an earlier timber-framed
The house was leased by Abbot Parker, the last abbot of St
Peter's Abbey, to his brother Humphrey and his descendants
occupied it until it was bought out by John Morris in 1782.
Robert Morris was a Gloucester banker and MP for Gloucester.
This building was Barnwood Vicarage from 1937 until c1975.
(BOE: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of
Dean: London: 1976-: 97; VCH: The City of Gloucester: Oxford:
Listing NGR: SO8573117759
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings