This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8608 / 51°51'38"N
Longitude: -2.2361 / 2°14'10"W
OS Eastings: 383835
OS Northings: 218048
OS Grid: SO838180
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.CGV
Mapcode Global: VH94C.6H6C
Entry Name: Gothic Cottages
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472087
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Barton and Tredworth
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: St James and All Saints, Gloucester
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8318SE BARTON STREET
844-1/13/7 (North side (off))
12/03/73 Gothic Cottages Nos 7 and 8
Pair of semi-detached cottages. c1820. Brick with stuccoed
front. Roof in imitation slate, with blue brick capping; left
hand house has plain chimney without corbelled courses.
Double-depth block with rear wings, a mirror-image pair facing
Barton Street at south end of short cul-de-sac.
EXTERIOR: two storeys. Symmetrical front with Gothick details;
brick dentil crowning cornice and low parapet; at the centre a
pair of adjoining entrance doorways with shallow ogee-arched
heads and framed by bolection mould architraves; panelled
doors with ogee heads; right hand door replaced by 12 panel
door (vertical raised and fielded panels); to either side a
window of two arched lights and on the first floor three
similar windows of which the central window is divided between
the two cottages; all the windows with projecting stone sills
and moulded surrounds to the lights.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the cottages were used as an isolation hospital
during the cholera epidemic of 1832.
Listing NGR: SO8383518048
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings