This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8668 / 51°52'0"N
Longitude: -2.2458 / 2°14'44"W
OS Eastings: 383171
OS Northings: 218722
OS Grid: SO831187
Mapcode National: GBR 1KZ.WKL
Mapcode Global: VH94C.1B2Q
Plus Code: 9C3VVQ83+PM
Entry Name: Kings School House
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271577
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472134
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8318NW CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
844-1/8/49 King's School House
Formerly known as: Cathedral House CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS.
Independent school house, part of the King's School; the
larger portion used as the headmaster's residence, the former
service wing now a flat. 1500. Incorporates a small house
built c1590 for William Blackleech, Chancellor to the Bishop
of Gloucester; enlarged in 1623 for Archdeacon Abraham
Blackleech, further enlarged and refronted in late C18; a
school house since c1920.
MATERIALS: encapsulated timber frame, ashlar, brick, shallow
pitched slate roof and a stuccoed wing with tiled roof, brick
PLAN: a long range facing garden on east side with lower wing
attached at left-hand end extending to the rear.
EXTERIOR: three-storey range and two-storey wing. The range
has a long symmetrical front of seven bays faced in ashlar,
including a slightly projecting and wider central bay; offset
plinth, boxed eaves on brackets; on the ground floor in the
central bay the entrance doorway with side-lights, segmental
fanlight with bars, and fielded six-panel door, in a timber
frame recessed within a segmental arched opening framed by
reeded pilasters and entablature with a raised panel in the
centre of the frieze and above the cornice; on each side three
sashes, on the first floor seven similar sashes, and on the
second floor seven shorter sashes, all with glazing bars (3x4
panes and 3x2 panes on the second floor), and in openings with
projecting stone sills. The wing to left stuccoed, on the
front two sashes on each floor with glazing bars (3x4 panes);
similar sashes on the left side and at rear.
INTERIOR: the headmaster's residence not inspected but
believed to contain exposed C16 framing, and on the first
floor a room with an early C17 stone chimney-piece of two
tiers of Corinthian columns with entablatures, and early C17
panelling. In the wing exposed beams.
HISTORY: this building was formerly assigned as the cathedral
prebendal house for the prebend of the fifth stall, who was
from 1718 'ex officio' the Master of Pembroke College, Oxford.
(Welander D: The History, Art and Architecture of Gloucester
Cathedral: Stroud, Gloucestershire: 1991-; BOE: Verey D:
Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean: London:
Listing NGR: SO8317118722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings