History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4 and 6, Clarence Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8642 / 51°51'51"N

Longitude: -2.2427 / 2°14'33"W

OS Eastings: 383383

OS Northings: 218427

OS Grid: SO833184

Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.3SL

Mapcode Global: VH94C.2DQS

Plus Code: 9C3VVQ74+MW

Entry Name: 4 and 6, Clarence Street

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271589

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472147

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8318SW CLARENCE STREET
844-1/12/62 (East side)
23/01/52 Nos.4 AND 6

GV II

Pair of large town houses, now offices 1832-3. Part of the
development of Clarence Street by William Rees, builder. Late
C20 alterations. Stuccoed brick, slate roofs. Double-depth
block with short rear wings, originally a mirror image pair.
EXTERIOR: three storeys, basements and attics; to both houses
a single symmetrical front of seven bays with each end bay
slightly recessed and the three central bays slightly
projected (1+1+3+1+1); the former basement areas now infilled,
the ground floor rusticated with a strip pilaster at each end
and crowned by a raised band at first-floor level; on the
upper floors the three central bays defined by a giant order
of four Ionic pilasters and at each end a giant pilaster with
moulded impost at second-floor level between the pilasters; a
raised band and a crowning entablature with a mutilated
cornice; on the entablature over the three central bays a
pediment with mutilated eaves and with coped parapets to
either side.
On the ground floor the entrance doorway to each of the former
houses in the second and sixth bays with three stone steps to
thresholds, both door frames recessed in openings with moulded
architrave surrounds, with side and transom lights; in the
three central bays between the doorways and in the end bays
sashes with glazing bars (3X4 panes); on the first floor five
tall sashes and on the second floor five shorter sashes, all
with glazing bars (3x4 panes), all in openings with projecting
stone sills. The former iron railings to the front areas have
been removed.
INTERIOR: not inspected.


Listing NGR: SO8338318427

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.