This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.606 / 50°36'21"N
Longitude: -2.46 / 2°27'35"W
OS Eastings: 367546
OS Northings: 78581
OS Grid: SY675785
Mapcode National: GBR PY.DMRR
Mapcode Global: FRA 57QG.RFC
Entry Name: Edwards Homes
Listing Date: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271645
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467849
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6778NE RODWELL ROAD
873-1/23/251 (East side)
Group of 5 almshouses. 1894. For Sir Henry Edwards. Broadmayne
brick, Portland stone dressings, slate roofs with scalloped
clay ridges. Tudor Revival style.
PLAN: Nos 1-3 are in a T-shaped block, with a main gable
brought forward at the left-hand end, and linked to Nos 4 & 5
with a low screen wall with doorway.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, each unit 1-window, under a flush face
gable. All windows are 3-light casements with stone transom
and mullions, alternating flush jamb-stones and plain lintel;
those at ground floor have small labels, continued over the
doors to Nos 4 & 5. The upper casements have small-scale
diamond cast-iron lights, and the lower small rectangular
The doors, on stone steps, and paired to Nos 4 & 5 have 3
small panels below glazed lights to 4-centred heads, under a
deep transom light with diagonal panes. A rock-faced stone
plinth, with a thin moulding approx 600m above, and a similar
sill band at first-floor level.
The gables, with a blind lancet to stone head and sill, are
coped, on kneelers, and with roll-mould saddle-stones. At each
party wall, and at end gables, are raised coped verges, and
the brick stacks have high stone cappings with crenellations.
The doors to Nos 1 & 2 are in the internal angle, sharing a
slated porch on Portland stone brackets. Above each of the
doors is a Portland stone sunk panel with monogram EH and a
lion's head, surmounted by a label with raised centre. Between
Nos 3 & 4 is a brick screen wall with stone coping containing
a plank door under a flush stone lintel. There are original
cast-iron down-pipes and hopper-heads, and ovolo-mould
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Sir Henry Edwards who was mayor of Weymouth,
and MP for the constituency, was a considerable benefactor in
These almshouses are richly detailed, and externally remain
little altered. Part of a larger group including Nos 10-14
(consec) James Street (qv); there is a further group, of 1896,
in similar detail, in Rodwell Avenue (qv).
Listing NGR: SY6754678581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings