This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8636 / 51°51'49"N
Longitude: -2.2495 / 2°14'58"W
OS Eastings: 382912
OS Northings: 218369
OS Grid: SO829183
Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.22V
Mapcode Global: VH94B.YFM5
Plus Code: 9C3VVQ72+F5
Entry Name: Navigation House
Listing Date: 12 March 1973
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472187
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8218SE COMMERCIAL ROAD
844-1/11/97 (South side)
12/03/73 Nos.23 AND 25
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.23 AND 25)
Shown on OS map as No.23.
House, now offices. 1848, for a ships' chandler; C20
alterations. Brick with front faced in ashlar, hipped slate
roof, brick stack. Double-depth block.
EXTERIOR: two storeys with 2-storey basement at rear.
Symmetrical front, on the ground floor a doorway at each end
framed by pilasters with banded rustication and moulded
imposts which support an entablature at first-floor level
across the width of the front, its cornice supported on
consoles above the outer pilasters; the former opening between
the doorways altered in 1985 by the insertion of a matching
central pilaster and a sash with glazing bars (3x4 panes) to
either side, in the doorways rectangular fanlights with
margin-pane glazing, panelled doors. On the first floor raised
and chamfered quoins at the outer corners and a crowning
entablature; two sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes) in
openings with projecting sills. In the centre of the east
wall, lighting the stairwell, a tall, semicircular arched sash
with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SO8291218369
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings