History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

72, Eastgate Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.863 / 51°51'46"N

Longitude: -2.2425 / 2°14'33"W

OS Eastings: 383396

OS Northings: 218299

OS Grid: SO833182

Mapcode National: GBR 1L5.3W6

Mapcode Global: VH94C.2FTN

Plus Code: 9C3VVQ74+6X

Entry Name: 72, Eastgate Street

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Last Amended: 15 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472206

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8318SW EASTGATE STREET
844-1/12/116 (South side (off))
23/01/52 No.72
(Formerly Listed as:
BARTON STREET
(South side)
Sir Thomas Rich's School and No 26)

GV II

House. c1800, later minor alterations. Brick partly stuccoed,
stone details, slate roofs, brick stacks. Facing Eastgate
Street at the south end of a cul-de-sac, a double-depth block
with a full height bow projection at rear and a small entrance
wing attached on the right hand side.
EXTERIOR: main block of three storeys and basement, two storey
entrance wing. Front of the main block of three bays with the
basement storey set within a partly railed area and painted
white; stone band at first-floor level, stone crowning cornice
with close set modillions, brick parapet; the basement has a
single sash with glazing bars; on both the ground and first
floors three sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes); on the
second floor three shorter sashes with glazing bars (3x3
panes), all in openings with flat-arched heads of five raised
and stepped stone voussoirs and projecting stone sills. The
stuccoed front of the entrance wing has arched doorway to left
with fanlight crudely renewed in C20 and framed by stone
doorcase of Tuscan pilasters and entablature; an eight panel
door of raised and fielded panels; a sash window to right and
a central sash on the first floor, both with glazing bars (3x4
panes). The garden front at rear has details similar to the
entrance front except for fully exposed basement storey; on
each floor the bow to right has three sashes and to the left
of bow on each floor a single sash, all with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: a panel fixed to the front is inscribed: "This
building previously named "Richleigh" and later known as
School House formed part of Sir Thomas Rich's School sited
here 1889-1964."

Listing NGR: SO8339618299

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.