History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Horton Road Hospital Including Area Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8651 / 51°51'54"N

Longitude: -2.2282 / 2°13'41"W

OS Eastings: 384383

OS Northings: 218528

OS Grid: SO843185

Mapcode National: GBR 1L6.1GD

Mapcode Global: VH94C.BDD1

Entry Name: Horton Road Hospital Including Area Railings

Listing Date: 28 May 1991

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271680

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472228

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Kingsholm and Wotton

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Gloucester St Catharine

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO8418NW HORTON ROAD
844-1/10/140 (West side)
28/05/91 Horton Road Hospital including area
railings

II*

Hospital for the insane. Begun 1814, opened for admissions
1823. The original design by William Stark of Edinburgh
between 1811 and his death in 1813; subsequently modified by
John Wheeler of Gloucester. Many later C19 alterations and
additions, principally wings and blocks: 1842-6, west wing
extension; 1857-60, additions to central block and its wings;
1871, south wing and detached north block; 1885 range linking
north wing to north block.
MATERIALS: mostly stuccoed brick with stone details or brick
painted white; the additions of 1857 and 1885 of faced brick.
Mostly shallow pitched roofs; the roof of the original
building of patent cast-iron tiles on cast-iron frames (a
notable example of fireproof construction); later roofs Welsh
slate or composition.
PLAN: the original building is a symmetrical, large scale
composition with restrained use of classical details; later
additions generally in a similar and even plainer style.
Large, three storey crescent with the central main entrance on
the axis of a forecourt entered from Horton Road, a central,
axial wing at rear; flanking north and south wings, originally
of two storeys and linked to the outer ends of the crescent
range by single-storey loggias; both the wings and the loggias
subsequently heightened to three storeys; the crescent range
widened on the back to provide access corridors on all floors;
within the arc of the crescent the basement storey opens into
a deep railed area with a facing circuit of casemate cells
below courtyard level designed to contain difficult patients;
later additional accommodation provided by the south-facing
range which extends east from the south end of the south wing,
and by a large north block, originally detached but later
linked to the north wing with the insertion of a single-storey
range.
EXTERIOR: mostly three storeys and basements; the front of the
crescent range with eighteen bays divided centrally by the
entrance doorway, and a slightly extruded bay at either end
(1:9:1:9:1). Shallow, full height, segmental-arched recess on
each end bay; two-storey bows on both the front facing ends of
the crescent; the walls on both sides of the basement area
faced in rusticated ashlar; entrance doorways to the casemate

cells; on the front of the crescent range a raised stone band
at first and at second-floor level, bracketed eaves, and at
each end of the crescent a projecting pedimental gable; in the
centre the entrance doorway and a window on each side are
framed within three bays by an applied Roman Doric order of
half columns on pedestals and entablature; on both sides in
each bay on all floors sashes with glazing bars (5x5 panes on
ground and first floor, 5x4 panes on second floor).
The south and north flanking wings are each of seven bays with
a projecting bay at each end; on the fronts between the
projecting bays an arcade with a continuous band at impost
level, a recessed panel with a sash in each bay, and the
arches infilled; a raised band at first floor and at
second-floor levels; on the first and the second floors sashes
with glazing bars (5x5 panes on first floor, 5x4 panes on
second floor).
The former loggias linking the ends of the crescent with the
flanking wings are each of three bays with applied pilasters
and entablature on the ground floor, each bay infilled later
with a sash, and sashes in the added first and second floors.
South-facing range with symmetrical front of two storeys and a
third recessed storey, all of eleven bays, and flanked at the
ends by projecting, three storey wings each of three bays; a
raised band at each-floor level and a brick dentil eaves
cornice; on the roof in the centre of the range a massive
octagonal flue stack on a stone base with diagonal volutes at
the angles and a bracketted crowning cornice.
At the rear of the crescent range the brick wall built when
the range was widened has an applied, shallow, giant arcade on
the ground and first floors with stone impost bands to the
piers and key stones in the arches, a raised band at
second-floor level and panelled eaves cornice; on all floors
in each bay, except where blocked by later additions, a sash
with glazing bars. Central rear wing of three-storeys and
basement with projecting service or stair turrets on each side
at the ends and in the centre of its original length, and at
the end of the later extension of the wing to the west; a
raised band at each-floor level and on all floors in each bay
a sash with glazing bars. North block with symmetrical front
facing north of three storeys and fifteen bays flanked at the
ends by projecting three-storey wings, each of three bays;
raised band at each-floor level and brick dentil eaves cornice
to hipped roof.
INTERIOR: some of the casemate cells entered from the area in
the crescent retain stone slab beds; to left of entrance hall
an open well stair with stone treads, cast-iron stick
balusters and swept timber balustrade; many rooms in the
crescent range and flanking range retain original joinery

including architraves, doors and window shutters; in the
original portion of the rear axial wing on the first floor a
large auditorium called the ballroom with C20 false ceiling
concealing the original moulded cornice.
In the added west end of the axial wing on the first and
second floors are secure cells for holding hospital inmates,
each cell with a cast-iron framed sash with glazing bars in
conjunction with a timber sliding sash; some original cell
doors with hatches and peepholes.
HISTORY: the proposal to provide a hospital for the insane in
Gloucester was initiated by Sir Onesiphorous Paul, former High
Sheriff of Gloucester and social reformer in 1792; in July
1794 a general meeting of the subscribers was held which
included Dr Edward Jenner and Robert Raikes.
The construction supervised by John Collingwood for a
committee representing subscribers, the County of
Gloucestershire and the City of Gloucester to provide
accommodation for three categories of patients: the wealthy,
the poor on parochial relief, and the poor not on relief, with
segregation of the sexes.
EXTRA INFORMATION: the cast-iron tiles covering the roof of
the crescent range and the original portion of the axial wing
are important as an early example of the very rare use of
cast-iron tiles for roofing; on each tile the moulded
inscription "CARTERS PATENT 1827 TOLLAND". Evidence of mid C19
installation of a circulating hot air central heating system
represented by cast-iron grilles and flues is also of special
interest. An outstanding early C19 hospital complex,
particularly notable for its advanced plan form,
constructional techniques and fine neo-classical facade.
(RCHME: Hospital Survey Report: 1994-).


Listing NGR: SO8438318548

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.