This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8556 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -2.1892 / 2°11'21"W
OS Eastings: 387066
OS Northings: 217460
OS Grid: SO870174
Mapcode National: GBR 1L7.RB3
Mapcode Global: VH94D.0MJC
Entry Name: The Vicarage
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Last Amended: 15 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 472232
Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hucclecote
Built-Up Area: Gloucester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Hucclecote St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO81NE HUCCLECOTE ROAD, Hucclecote
844-1/4/459 (South side)
10/01/55 Nos.88 AND 90
(Formerly Listed as:
BARNWOOD ROAD, Hucclecote
Former houses, now house. c1820 with later minor alterations.
For John Major, landowner. Stuccoed brick and stone details
painted white, hipped and mansard slate roofs, two gabled
dormers on the front of mansard roof, brick stacks with
PLAN: central block with hipped roof, a smaller block with
mansard roof to right, and a wing incorporating garage to
EXTERIOR: the central block and wing to left two storeys, the
smaller block to right single storey and attic. The front of
the central block of three widely-spaced bays with a raised
band at first-floor sill level and a coped parapet; on the
ground floor a central, projecting, entrance porch with
crowning entablature and in the front wall the entrance
doorway with moulded architrave and four-panel door with upper
panels glazed; to left of porch a canted bay window with
crowning entablature has a sash in the front and a narrower
sash in each canted side, all with glazing bars (3x4 panes to
front and 2x4 panes to sides); to right of porch a pair of C20
French doors with glazing bars; on the first floor three
sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes).
The lower front of the block to left is flush with the front
of the central block and the raised band continues across, the
parapet wall above has a crowning cornice; on the ground floor
two large sashes with glazing bars (4x4 panes) in openings
with floating cornices above and projecting stone sills, above
on the mansard roof two large dormers with barge boards to the
gables and sashes with glazing bars (3x4 panes); on front of
wing to left on the ground floor a projecting with garage
doors and on the first floor a sash with glazing bars (3x4
Rear elevation has irregular fenestration of mostly sashes
with glazing bars; on the central block to left a two-storey
canted bay with a sash to front and a narrower sash in each
canted side, all with glazing bars (3x4 panes to front and 2x4
panes to sides), to right a C20 French door with sidelights.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: originally called Chosen or Coles Villa. From 1862 to
1952 Hucclecote Vicarage.
Listing NGR: SO8706617460
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings