This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6189 / 50°37'8"N
Longitude: -2.4511 / 2°27'3"W
OS Eastings: 368183
OS Northings: 80012
OS Grid: SY681800
Mapcode National: GBR PY.CXV8
Mapcode Global: FRA 57RF.NWK
Plus Code: 9C2VJG9X+HH
Entry Name: Radipole Terrace
Listing Date: 23 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272144
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467465
Location: Dorset, DT4
Electoral Ward/Division: Melcombe Regis
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Radipole and Melcombe Regis
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6780NE DORCHESTER ROAD
873-1/14/81 (West side)
23/05/94 Nos.1-5 (consecutive) Radipole
Terrace of 5 single-storey houses, possibly originally
officers' accommodation. 1798. By Alexander Copland (a London
contractor). For the Barrack Master, General Col DeLancey.
Rendered, some on timber-frame, some to brickwork: No.1 has
some exposed mathematical tiling, but concealed elsewhere,
PLAN: terrace is set at right angles to Dorchester Road, and
backs on Alexandra Road; originally it faced a large parade
ground, part of Radipole Cavalry Barracks.
EXTERIOR: each bungalow has a door with a single large window
each side, and a rear gabled wing taken through to Alexandra
No.1 has three 16-pane sashes in moulded boxes in its end
gable, and similar sashes to the front; its panelled,
part-glazed door formerly had a transom light, now blocked.
No.2 has replaced windows and door, this with transom light,
and No.3 retains a 12-pane sash to the right, with French
doors with margin-panes to the left of the central flush
4-panelled door with 3-pane transom light. Nos 4 & 5 have
replacement doors and windows. There are 3 ridge stacks, the
centre one cropped to ridge level.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: these modest buildings have special historic
interest, as they are practically all that remains from a
large barracks complex, begun in 1798 and extended in 1800 and
1804, with a maximum complement of 953 officers and men and
986 horses. It is supposed that these bungalows were officers'
There is also special architectural interest in the use of
mathematical tiles, common in the south-east of England: this
must represent the furthest penetration of the method to the
At the time of survey a little of the timber-frame was exposed
to the front of No.1, and some mathematical tiles could be
distinguished at plinth level.
Formed part of a chain of one-troop cavalry barracks along the
south coast planned by DeLancey. With Nos 24 & 26 Alexandra
Road (qv), these have considerable historic interest as
examples of semi-permanent military accommodation between the
flexible and cheap temporary use of rented warehouses and
barns during the intense invasion scares of the Napoleonic
Wars, and the permanent but slow and costly alternative of
(RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 358).
Listing NGR: SY6818380012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings