This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8036 / 50°48'13"N
Longitude: -1.1059 / 1°6'21"W
OS Eastings: 463099
OS Northings: 100831
OS Grid: SU630008
Mapcode National: GBR VNN.ZQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.4Z8
Entry Name: Iron Foundry (Building Number 1/140) iron Foundry (Building Number 1/140) Including Railings and Bollards
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272310
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476692
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 6300 NW VICTORIA ROAD
774-1/29/247 HM Naval Base
Iron Foundry (Building No 1/140)
including railings and bollards
Includes: Iron Foundry (Building No. 1/140), THE PARADE HM NAVAL BASE
Iron foundry and smithery, disused. c1857-1861, by Col GT Greene RE and Andrew Murray, Chief Engineer; extended 1878, later alterations. Banded red brick in English bond with ashlar and brighter red brick dressings. Roofs of Welsh slate and corrugated iron. PLAN: half courtyard plan with N former foundry range containing crucible furnaces at rear, between E former shipwright's shop extending back with pediments front and rear, and longer 3-storey W former millwright's shop with roof water tank, with former pattern makers' workshop dated 1878 projecting from SE end. The courtyard had a large central rotating crane, and the steam engine was to the SE.
EXTERIOR: the three principal sections differentiated architecturally: central foundry 2 storeys with basement, granite plinth, ashlar impost band and eaves entablature of frieze, cornice and blocking course. Full- height round-arched recesses with keystones and brick voussoirs aligned to courses. Within each recess a tall segmental-arched window on ground floor and a shorter round-arched window above, windows all having small- paned metal frames and ashlar sills. North elevation: 1:11:1 bays, the end bays wider and project, that on left (east wing) pedimented, that on right (west wing) with 2nd storey, each has a giant round-arched entrance in ashlar surround, now bricked up and with windows; in pediment of left bay, a louvred oculus; on upper floor of right bay 3 round-arched recesses, central one with window. Eaves entablature breaks forward at centre and above entrances. Roof over central range hipped and with louvred skylight. East elevation: 6 bays as north elevation with middle bays open with cast-iron columns to heavy iron beam, subsequently built across. West elevation: 3 storeys, as north elevation, the 2nd floor having round-arched recesses with windows, and cornice below parapet. Segmental- arched basement windows, mostly bricked up, the area railings (at centre and left) having circular bars and columnar standards with plinths and plain capitals. Two giant entrances, as before, that on left with mid- late C20 outshut built across, that on right forming throughway to rear courtyard and having 2 cannon barrels reused as bollards (probably early- mid C19, reused mid-Iate C19) at south-west and north-east corners. South elevation: 4 bays, the 2 on left as before, the 2 on right a plainer addition. Courtyard elevations: north range has 2 tiers of round-arched windows; 2 entries, one covered by addition; and at right end a 2-storey projecting block with hipped Welsh slate roof. W wing has crane above throughway, and on left of throughway a projecting 3-storey 3-bay block.
INTERIOR: contains brickjack arch floors with joists with parabolic bottom flanges, carried on riveted iron girders. In former foundry, brick walls carry rails for former travelling cranes, with wrought-iron roof trusses of diagonal struts and vertical ties. Stone flags to floors; rear cupola area of foundry had 2 areas with wrought-iron balconies, one with riveted traveller. Wrought-iron plates with holes defining position of cupolas. Similar balconies in foundry area, including one with a truncated stack. In NW corner is hydraulic accumulator, the pattern shops has fireproof stair well with an iron dog-leg stair with plain iron balusters, enclosed at the head in panelled metal case, and iron doors. Old bell on 2nd floor of west range. The water tank supplied water for cooling in the manufacturing processes and for fire-fighting. Former pattern shop in SE wing has first-floor with a jacobethan-style iron column supporting a decorated cast-iron beam.
HISTORY: part of the redevelopment of Portsmouth for the steam-powered navy and in a similar manner to the No.2 Ship Shop (qv), and unusual in the use of rivet ted wrought-iron beams instead of cast-iron, as elsewhere in the Yard. There was a rotating crane in the courtyard. This is the only example of a dedicated foundry in a Naval yard, and substantially intact, containing considerable evidence of its former functions.
(Sources: The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 416-7; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley RC: The Evolution of the Docks and Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 16, 21; Evans D: The Buildings of the Steam Navy: 1994: 17).
SU 6300 NW THE PARADE
HM Naval Base
Iron Foundry (Building No 1/140)
See under: Iron Foundry (Building No. 1/140) including railings and bollards, THE PARADE HM NAVAL BASE
Listing NGR: SU6310400676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings