History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lewins the Garden Cottage the Gatehouse the Turret

A Grade II Listed Building in Edenbridge, Kent

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2338 / 51°14'1"N

Longitude: 0.0649 / 0°3'53"E

OS Eastings: 544255

OS Northings: 150314

OS Grid: TQ442503

Mapcode National: GBR LM0.R6L

Mapcode Global: VHHPX.28N0

Plus Code: 9F3263M7+GW

Entry Name: Lewins the Garden Cottage the Gatehouse the Turret

Listing Date: 13 January 1995

Last Amended: 16 February 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272467

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449225

Location: Westerham, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN8

County: Kent

District: Sevenoaks

Civil Parish: Westerham

Built-Up Area: Crockham Hill

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Crockham Hill Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Crockham Hill

Listing Text

In the entry for the following building:-


TQ45SW WESTERHAM CROCKHAM HILL

44/10035 Lewins, The Gatehouse,
The Turret, The Garden Flat

- II


the address shall be amended to read: "Lewins, The Gatehouse, The Turret, The Garden
Cottage, Crockham Hill, Westerham".

The list was previously amended in respect of this entry on 13 January 1995.

------------------------------------

TQ45SW WESTERHAM CROCKHAM HILL

44/10035 Lewins, The Gatehouse,
The Turret, The Garden Flat

- II

Large house. Circa 1873 by John McKean Brydon (1840-1901), chief assistant to Nesfield and Shaw from
1867-9 before setting up his own practice, for the stores magnate Peter Robinson. The house was
divided into 4 units in the 1960s. Domestic Revival style. Asymmetrical building of 2 to 3 storeys and
irregular fenestration. Mainly red brick in Flemish bond with some stone, curved tile-hanging,
timberframing with plastered infill and tiled roofs with 6 tall channelled brick stacks, one of which has
a panels of sunflowers in moulded brick. West or entrance front has service wing of 2 storeys with
archway leading through to kitchens at rear. Ground floor red brick with tile-hung first floor and 2
chimneystacks, including external stack to left with stepped gable. Left side has 2 storey canted bay, with
timberframing to upper part. To right is arched entrance and gabled dormer above. Main house adjoins
to right with 3 storey brick tower with first floor tile-hung oriel with 'Ipswich' window. Main entrance
is in set back portion of 2 storeys and attics 3 windows, the ground floor of stone, the first floor tile-hung.
Mullioned and transomed casements. Gabled wooden and tiled porch. The end bay to the entrance front
is of 3 storeys with timberframed gable to second floor and canted bay through 2 lower floors, stone to
ground floor and tile-hung to first floor. The garden front facing south is of 4 bays. The left bay has first
floor timberframed gable with balcony with wooden balustrade, set back second bay has dormer with
canted bay and lean-to conservatory to ground floor. This is followed by a large timberframed gable with
coved cornice and, at the corner, a 2 storey turret with canted bay. East front has timberframed gable and
large projecting wing to north. Former kitchen of one storey to east has louvred cupola. Brydon's initials
and qualifications appear in a wooden cartouche to a plastered gable on the east front. Interior is
remarkably fine and complete. The entrance hall is 40' x 12' and there is a lounge 22' x 21' which
originally could be divided by a curtain. The hall has a fireplace with swag panels, paterae and eared
architraves. Staircase leading off has 2 turned balusters to each tread and scrolled risers. Square piers with
Ionic capitals. Lounge part has fireplace with band of fasces, brackets and eared architraves and 4 Ionic
cast iron fluted columns. Morning room has cornice with egg and dart moulding and Ionic capitals. Dado
panelling and splayed windowseat. Dining room has mahogany fireplace with eared architraves and
marble chimneypiece with Delft tiles. South west ground floor room has cornice with egg and dart
moulding.


Listing NGR: TQ4425550314

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.