History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lion and Lamb House (Including Rear West Wing (Occupied by Farnham Printing Company Limited))

A Grade II Listed Building in Farnham, Surrey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2144 / 51°12'51"N

Longitude: -0.8009 / 0°48'3"W

OS Eastings: 483846

OS Northings: 146819

OS Grid: SU838468

Mapcode National: GBR DB3.VQ1

Mapcode Global: VHDY2.2QFW

Entry Name: Lion and Lamb House (Including Rear West Wing (Occupied by Farnham Printing Company Limited))

Listing Date: 26 April 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1273015

English Heritage Legacy ID: 446695

Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU9

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Farnham

Built-Up Area: Farnham

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Farnham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SU 8346 NE 5/104

(North West Side)
Nos 113 and 113A and
Lion and Lamb House (including rear west
wing (occupied by Farnham Printing
Company Limited.))


Former Lion and Lamb Inn. Previously a stuccoed facade. Dated 1537 on brick panel built into wall of central yard entry. This building has been completely restored and largely rebuilt in recent years. [In early 1920s by J Kingham.] The street front, 2 storeys, timber framed with herring bone brick infilling to upper part which oversails ground floor shops on moulded beam, supported by curved brackets. Central gabled yard entry, carved bargeboards, with floral and cusped pattern. Old tiled roof. Upper part has irregular 4 and 3-light modern lead casements and small angular bay in gable over arch supported on cut scroll brackets. Fairly inconspicuous modern shops on ground floor. The central yard entry has pair of ledged oak gates. To rear, over yard entry, dentil brick eaves, red brick; 2 2 light sashes, each 3 panes wide. 1st section of wing adjoining to the west of 2 storeys, 2 bays. Dentil brick eaves; rubbed brick voussoirs. To right hand on ground floor, 6 panelled door, centre 2 panels fielded; to left hand in passageway 4-flush-panelled door. In north return wall, 2 storeys, 2 bays; window 3 panes wide; rubbed brick voussoirs. Extending north from this, a late C18 to C19 outhouse range with tile roof with hip to north end and brick front on slightly projecting plinth; brick dentil eaves. Irregular fenestration. 6 bays with modern shop front at north end; at north end, 2 splayed oriel shop windows with lunette windows over.

The listed building fron Nos 108 to 122 (consec) form a group with Nos 1 to 9 (consec) (including No 1A) and Nos 1 to 6 Town Hall buildings (The Borough) and Nos 1 and 77 Castle Street.

Listing NGR: SU8386046821

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.