History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Scottish Mutual Assurance Society Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Ladywood, Birmingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4817 / 52°28'53"N

Longitude: -1.902 / 1°54'7"W

OS Eastings: 406750

OS Northings: 287085

OS Grid: SP067870

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z8.X8

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.ZWBF

Entry Name: The Scottish Mutual Assurance Society Building

Listing Date: 13 January 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1276203

English Heritage Legacy ID: 410119

Location: Birmingham, B3

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Philip Birmingham

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list;

BIRMINGHAM EDMUND STREET
SP 0687 SE
Numbers 106-110,
The Scottish Mutual
Assurance Society Building
29/10012
(including number,
29 Newhall Street)
II
GV
Office building. Dated 1895; altered C20. By Frank Barlow Osbourne for
W H Smythe, Solictors. Red brick with ashlar sandstone dressings; blue
tile roof. 4 storeys with cellars; 4:1:4 bays wrapped around corner
of Newhall Street and Edmund Street; asymmetrical. In simplified
Flemish Revival style. Altered ground floor with corner entrance and
separate entrances to 29 Newhall Street and 110 Edmund Street. Across
each upper floor is a continuous balcony with wrought-iron balustrade
set on the corbelled ashlar cornice of the floor below. Moulded sill
bands; cross windows with chamfered ashlar dressings in brick
surrounds.
Newhall Street front: bay 3 projects and has a canted bay window on
first and second floors, the side-lights with transoms only;
projection narrows on the third floor its window flanked by C-scrolls
and by brick pilasters which rise through a string course and 2
cornices to a shaped gable with kneelers, copings and ball finial;
above the window is a decorative ashlar panel. The flanking bays are
recessed but otherwise treated in similar manner whilst bay 1 is
narrower projection with cross window to each floor and simpler gable.
Main ridge has broad, corniced transverse stack and matching coaxial
stack. Corner bay has rounded turret with curved cross-window to each
floor and 4-light mullioned opening to void beneath octagonal ogee
dome set on a corbel table.
Edmund Street front: generally treated as Newhall Street front but
with broad gable on left which projects and has cross-windows to each
floor flanked by brick pilasters and by transomed single-light
windows. Beneath first floor window is a carved ashlar panel with
monogram and date '1895'; cornice above third floor surmounted by
small ashlar pediment; 2-light window within the gable. Transverse
ridge stacks as before.
Important city centre location. Noteworthy roofscape.

Listing NGR: SP0674487088

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.